SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cutaway Suppressors, what does ATF have to say about them?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:04 am 
Elite Industry Professional

Anyone know of any actual ATF rulings about cutaway suppressors?

How much of the suppressor has to be cut for it to be a non NFA item?

I do understand that everything should be cut as one baffle not cut would be a useable part which they still consider a suppressor.

What if a suppressor was cut and then incased in that clear resin that they uses to make paperweights out of? This is the main reason I'm asking is I would like to have a suppressor made into a cutaway, but don't want to leave it laying around if it's still a NFA item.

If anyone knows of any actually ATF write ups on cutaway suppressors I would be interested in reading them.

Thanks

www.ArmamentSales.com

Specializing in the 7.62mm Minigun, Suppressors, and NFA Weapons/Accessories (including Artillery and Flame Throwers).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:16 am 
Silent But Deadly

I would think it would be like a machinegun - specific dewat rules to follow to then be removed from the registry - My guess (and only a guess) is that you have to show photographic evidence of it's destruction per whatever guidelines they use for cans to have removed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:21 am 
Elite Industry Professional

Yea I sort of think the same, but I've never seen any actual ATF info on destroying a suppressor so it can be removed from the registry or what they consitter cutaways.

Thanks

www.ArmamentSales.com

Specializing in the 7.62mm Minigun, Suppressors, and NFA Weapons/Accessories (including Artillery and Flame Throwers).