SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ATF paperwork status check?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:11 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Hey there,
I am sure this question has been asked, but I need to ask it again. I think my local class 3 guy is full of sh1t about my form 4. I told him I wanted to know when he sent it off so I could "keep track" of my paperwork's progress. I filled out all of the paper for him, gave check, all he has to do is send that bitch off. I call him today and ask if he has sent it, his response is "I'd like to say I have........"(long pause) and that was it. Not yes not no. I want to check with ATF and see if they have received it as the check has not gone through my bank yet. Any suggestions? Thanks
Bull

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:15 pm 
Silent But Deadly

call them with the serial number of the can......no big deal at all....

Post subject: Re: ATF paperwork status check?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:17 pm 
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Bull wrote:
Hey there,
I am sure this question has been asked, but I need to ask it again. I think my local class 3 guy is full of sh1t about my form 4. I told him I wanted to know when he sent it off so I could "keep track" of my paperwork's progress. I filled out all of the paper for him, gave check, all he has to do is send that bitch off. I call him today and ask if he has sent it, his response is "I'd like to say I have........"(long pause) and that was it. Not yes not no. I want to check with ATF and see if they have received it as the check has not gone through my bank yet. Any suggestions? Thanks
Bull

1.Next time send the stuff in yourself,saved you alot of headaches,thats what my dealers have done every time,I send the next day or 3-4 day but the thing is I know when I send it so I have no one to blame
2.get another dealer for your next transfers
3.It has been taking awhile for checks too clear but you may want to call anywho,Im not to sure about this.
4.Ask your dealer to "clarify" what does "Id like to say I have",basically he didnt.See step 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:29 pm 
Elite Member

If he sent it he knows. He's a dealer not a manufacture! You have to keep very clear records to ba a regular ffl!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:13 pm 
Elite Member

Yep, just call ATF and ask to check the status of the transfer. Give them the can's serial number and they will do the rest, they're very nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:35 am 
Silent But Deadly

If the check hasn't cleared your bank, it's very unlikely that ATF will have any record of your transfer. (Not that it's impossible, as there's at least one report of a check getting cashed after the transfer was approved. It's just very, very rare.)

Keep on him about it - just be polite!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:15 am 
Elite Industry Professional

Now that what I call service!

NOT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:41 pm 
Silent But Deadly

called ATF yeterday and imagine my suprise when the gal said, "we have nothing pending for that SOT, and nothing under that Serial #" I think it's time to see the dealer and have chat.
Bull

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:01 pm 
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Bull wrote:
called ATF yeterday and imagine my suprise when the gal said, "we have nothing pending for that SOT, and nothing under that Serial #" I think it's time to see the dealer and have chat.
Bull

Im not surprised at all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:11 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Give him a call again... if he gives you another long pause and evasive ignorant answers call the local ATF office. With any luck they will call him and explain it to him. Bottom line is that you have paid for it, there is nothing by law preventing you from having the can other than the pending transfer... he cant just hold it as long as he likes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:22 pm 
Silent But Deadly

I am going to ask a stupid question... Why is your dealer sending in the Form4? Both form4s I have done were filled out by the dealer and he gave them to me, telling me to fill out the rest and mail it in myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:24 pm 
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Bull,got an update for us?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:16 pm 
Elite Member

jackal2001 wrote:
I am going to ask a stupid question... Why is your dealer sending in the Form4? Both form4s I have done were filled out by the dealer and he gave them to me, telling me to fill out the rest and mail it in myself.

+1 I always mail the forms myself. I just have the dealer fill out his portion and sign it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:53 pm 
Silent But Deadly

He's probably holding onto it hoping for a couple more people buy the same brand so he can get a cheaper price from the manufacturer. Not cool in my mind unless you're knowingly going into an announced group buy. Tell him you want your money back and utilize a dealer here on this board who actually takes care of their customers.

And a big +1 to filling out your own form 4's! Just take it into your dealer for a signature when it shows up at his shop and mail it out yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:13 pm 
Senior Silent Operator

My dealer likes to mail all of his forms too. I offer to mail them but he always declines. He has a nice form letter and everything that he encloses. That being said, he usually mails out the same day I drop them off completed.

I like the idea of calling your local field office and telling them your trouble. I think a call from them to your dealer would do a lot more good than another call by you.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:11 pm 
Silent But Deadly

My dealer signed off and gave me an envelope with the correct address and told me to mail it myself. No problem. At least I could track the mail and ensure it got there on time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:45 pm 
Silent But Deadly

awdbandito wrote:
He has a nice form letter and everything that he encloses.

Just a waste of time and money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:52 am 
Senior Silent Operator

scottryan wrote:
awdbandito wrote:
He has a nice form letter and everything that he encloses.

Just a waste of time and money.

Not my time, nor my money. All my transfers with him have happened quick though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:12 pm 
Silent But Deadly

I guess I was always under the impression that he had to send the forms in, this is my second transfer through him. He just tells me I'll let you know when your papers arrive. Can ATF just send them to me, then I would just go show them to the transfer dealer and collect my can?
Bull

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:23 pm 
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Bull wrote:
I guess I was always under the impression that he had to send the forms in, this is my second transfer through him. He just tells me I'll let you know when your papers arrive. Can ATF just send them to me, then I would just go show them to the transfer dealer and collect my can?
Bull

no,the forms have to go to the trasferor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:45 am 
Silent But Deadly

Ok, so that means he has to recieve the paper work first, correct?
by the way, I am going to his store tomorrow and having a talk with him to clarify, AKA "get your ass in gear!!"
Bull

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:12 pm 
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Bull wrote:
Ok, so that means he has to recieve the paper work first, correct?
by the way, I am going to his store tomorrow and having a talk with him to clarify, AKA "get your ass in gear!!"
Bull

correct,theres nothing wrong with lighting a fire under your dealers ass but dont be an ass(which I know you wont) because he can always screw you in more ways than I care to mention,be firm but fair.