SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Firefighter with illegal machine gun = not a hero anymore.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:05 pm 
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Firefighter charged with selling illegal machine guns
By Mike McPhee
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated:11/23/2005 01:45:03 AM MST

A Denver firefighter was arrested early Tuesday by federal agents and charged with selling illegal, fully automatic machine guns.

Firefighter first-grade Stan T. Ford, 34, was arrested without incident at his home in southwest Denver by FBI agents at 4:45 a.m. He appeared Tuesday afternoon before a U.S. magistrate, who ordered him held in custody until a preliminary hearing Monday.

Ford is charged with two counts of selling illegal machine guns to FBI informants, one for $2,800 on April 22 and one for $3,900 on Aug. 2. Denver Fire Chief Larry Trujillo suspended Ford without pay Tuesday, said spokesman Lt. Phil Champagne. Ford has been a firefighter since February 1999.

A FBI arrest warrant affidavit described Ford as having ties to an unnamed domestic terrorist organization and having anti-U.S. sympathies. No elaboration was provided.

Ford was investigated by the FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force after being referred by the El Paso County Sheriff's Office.

According to Lt. Clif Northam, public information officer for the Sheriff's Office: "The information about Ford's possible terrorist ties came from a confidential informant we had back then. We never conducted a separate investigation into this. And we have no more information about him. We passed everything on to the FBI."

According to the FBI affidavit, Ford first raised suspicions in October 2003 when the El Paso County Sheriff's Office received information that he was attempting to purchase military communications equipment and night- vision goggles from a military installation in Colorado Springs. The Sheriff's Office told the FBI it had information that Ford allegedly had obtained Chinese military equipment, according to the document.

The FBI said Ford approached an FBI informant at the Tanner Gun Show at the Merchandise Mart in Denver on Feb. 7, 2004. Two months later, the informant, at the FBI's direction, purchased a Glock pistol from Ford for $425, the document stated.

The informant stayed in touch with Ford over the next 11 months, including one meeting at the Rocky Flats Lounge in Jefferson County, where Ford allegedly explained how to modify a legal weapon into a fully automatic weapon.

After a few more meetings, Ford met the informant on April 22 outside the U.S. post office in Broomfield, where he checked the informant for any transmitting devices, then allegedly sold him a Sten Mark V machine gun for $2,800, the document states.

Following more conversations, the two met again on Aug. 2 in the same parking lot, where Ford allegedly sold the informant a H&K G3, .308-caliber machine gun for $3,900, according to the document.

A third transaction involving a 5.56mm machine gun for $5,500 was being arranged last weekend when Ford became suspicious, according to the document.

Staff writer Mike McPhee can be reached at 303-820-1409 or mmcphee@denverpost.com.

Moral of the story??????????

Making homemade machine guns is clearly not that fucking hard........, don't fucking sell them to people you hardly know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_3244087

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:11 pm 
Site Admin

Really I can't comprehend why someone would do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:13 pm 
Silencertalk Goon Squad

rsilvers wrote:
Really I can't comprehend why someone would do that.

Make them, sell them or both?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:18 pm 
Site Admin

Either.The fear would be a gun charge that would prevent legal ownership of guns. I like guns too much to have to live without them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:21 pm 
Silent But Deadly

+1 rsilvers; it amazes me how stupid some folks are by doing stupid s--t like this guy. Just because you are a "hero" doesn't mean you are above the law. If you do the crime you should do the time.

SCL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:45 pm 
Site Admin

I disagree with the second part. I don't think there should be punishment and if I was on a jury I would nullify it.

All or at least most gun laws are Unconstitutional. I would uphold the Constitution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:47 pm 
Silent But Deadly

rsilvers wrote:
I disagree with the second part. I don't think there should be punishment and if I was on a jury I would nullify it.

All or at least most gun laws are Unconstitutional. I would uphold the Constitution.

Not according to the supreme court rulings, unfortunately. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:57 pm 
Silencertalk Goon Squad

KLM wrote:
rsilvers wrote:

Not according to the supreme court rulings, unfortunately. :?

They have ruled on many things.

You can vacuum babies out of vaginas............legal.

They can take your home to build condos........legal.

Checkpoints/Roadbloack by older court ruled illegal........War on Drugs/ MADD heated up...............now legal again

I think Rsilvers is just saying it's "unconsitutional" even if "legal".

Being "LEGAL" doesn't = "being right".
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:08 pm 
Silent But Deadly

I agree whole heartedly.

But, I submit that if legislation can exist as both legal and unconstitutional the constitution isn't worth the paper it was written on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:02 pm 
Silent But Deadly

I'd fully support legalizing new mfg registered machine guns, much like you can with silencers and SBR's. This guy not only risked his ability to own guns later, but at age 34 I'm guessing he was banking on retirement income from the fire dept.. They don't make s--t for money while they are working there.

This guy's just a dumbass who makes us all look bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:19 am 
Silencertalk Goon Squad

UPDATE:

By Jeff Kass, Rocky Mountain News
January 31, 2007

A former Denver firefighter convicted of selling an illegal machine gun is pinning his hopes for a new trial on allegations that the prosecution withheld key evidence.

A federal jury found Stan Ford guilty in June. His attorneys asked for a new trial in federal district court Tuesday, arguing that up to nine e-mails and the record of one phone conversation that might have helped vindicate Ford were missing.

Ford was acquitted in June on two other counts of illegally selling machine guns to an undercover agent and on one count of removing the serial number from a pistol.

One e-mail was not turned over to Ford's defense team before trial, the U.S. attorney's office acknowledged Tuesday, but said it did not diminish Ford's guilt.

A subpoena to Yahoo from Ford's defense team recently turned up the Oct. 28, 2005 e-mail from Ford responding to the undercover agent. The e-mail had not previously been disclosed, and did not contain the original message from the undercover agent, defense attorneys indicated.

The attorneys are trying to prove that Ford was improperly pushed by the undercover agent to make the gun sale. The prosecution says he willfully participated.

Judge Robert Blackburn said he will issue a written ruling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:37 am 
Silent But Deadly

It just amazes me that people seem to just walk up to idiots like this out of the blue and ask 'Psst. Pssst. hey,bud? You know of anyone selling drugs, or machine guns? Got work for a bank robber? Oh, you do? Can I see/buy one? $2800. Hey, thats cheap. I'll bring the money later after I talk to the wire...er, I mean wife. :lol:

They should do some homework on the new prospect. Might be a cop who isn't about to tell you that he is.

Post subject: Re: Firefighter with illegal machine gun = not a hero anymor
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:48 am 
Silent But Deadly

ArevaloSOCOM wrote:
A FBI arrest warrant affidavit described Ford as having ties to an unnamed domestic terrorist organization and having anti-U.S. sympathies. No elaboration was provided.

Ford was investigated by the FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force after being referred by the El Paso County Sheriff's Office.

According to Lt. Clif Northam, public information officer for the Sheriff's Office: "The information about Ford's possible terrorist ties came from a confidential informant we had back then. We never conducted a separate investigation into this. And we have no more information about him. We passed everything on to the FBI."

so how is this guy being labeled a terroist but this guy is not?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/12/08/mall.plot/

this case with the firefighter could be a case of entrapment. if he was needing money and the FBI agent offered him the money to do something that he had not done before that could fit. look into John Delorian.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:44 pm 
Silencertalk Goon Squad

UPDATE with prison time:

DENVER – Former Denver Firefighter Stan Taran Ford, 36, was sentenced Thursday to a year and a day in federal prison for selling a machine gun. Ford is a former Denver firefighter.

He was charged on November 21, 2005 and later indicted by a federal grand jury.

Ford was found guilty during a June 2006 trial of knowingly and unlawfully selling an Olympic Arms, Mini-16 machine gun to an FBI informant.

He was acquitted of other gun-related charges.