SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Frangible but Subsonic .308 Ammo?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:50 am 

Anyone know if there is .308 available that is both frangible and subsonic?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:08 pm 

I'm guess by the lack of responses that there is no such thing. So how about a source for suitable .30 cal frangible bullets so that I can load the rounds up myself?

If it helps, the reason that I ask is that I am an LEO and I'm looking into options for extremely quiet removal of cameras and other material. Or as I would tell my boss "discreet anti material" ammunition for use during high risk warrants and hostage rescue missions. I've asked around in the usual law enforcement circles and come up with nothing for .308's. I have frangible for my mp5sd but that it is very limited in terms of distance and accuracy. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:16 am 
Silent But Deadly

Any subsonic bullet that expands in 308 is going to be custom proposition.

You can go soft copper with presegmented breakup or you can go
soft lead in a jacket designed to expand at subsonic speeds either is going to be expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:43 am 
Silent But Deadly

Maybe try setting up a dedicated 9mm or 22 suppressed rifle for that role? Will a 22 hit hard enough to smash the things you want to break?

If you have 9mm frangable ammo that you are happy with, I'd say get a Contender with a custom barrel that is set up to take your threads or three lug for the can and ammo you have. It should be more accurate then the MP5. If the department will do it without you personally paying the tax for the SBR, it may well be worth trying it. Put it together and shoot some electronics at the range. Then you'll know what it will and won't do.

If .308 is the way you have to go, try some of Engel (EBR) subsonic. They have one that isn't really frangable, but it's a copper projo designed to expand properly at low speed. I presume you want frangable so it poses less danger downrange after hitting the intended target. While an expandable round won't lose mass the same way a frangable does, the deformation sucks up alot of the momentum. Think of the way a skirted air gun pellet bounces off things, and has no real impact when it hits whatever it bounces into.

This (308 frangable subsonic) is a round the world needs. Maybe one of the specialty ammo makers will step up and serve this small but vital need.

Post subject: 308 frangible subsonic
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:24 pm 

have you considered using sintrfire bullets? They do a 125gn 308.I have used them in 308 and 300wm and had decent results at normal velocity but have not done subsonic loads for them (yet!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:57 am 

I pretty much have to stick to my suppressed Remington 700 and use some sort of frangible and subsonic ammunition. Subsonic is required for noise reasons and frangible is required to ensure that a round doesn't skip down the street. Basically if I come to management types with a round that is frangible they will likely approve the idea. Otherwise I doubt it would be approved except under the most extreme situations and even then putting other people at risk in an urban environment probably won't be approved.

I'm lugging a Sig, 14.5" AR-15, 10.5" AR-15,MP5SD,Remington 700 a full set of entry gear and full backpack of sniper gear in my work vehicle. That is tonne of stuff and I simply cannot fit more gear in there without kicking out my partner.

My MP5SD isn't really accurate enough to guarantee a first round hit on a camera or hit another type of material target. Entry guys can fire and miss and make up excuses on why they missed because people don't expect precision out of them. I can't miss, ever.

Although we can't use a reloaded round for shooting people for a bunch of liability reasons and the related hassle, we can use it to shoot cameras, dogs and other property when necessary.

I'm not sure what else to say that might guide people's responses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:42 am 
Silent But Deadly

given the additional information you might check with
http://www.ebr-inc.net/
http://www.ttiarmory.com/
http://www.black-hills.com/