SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:40 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:54 pm 
Silent But Deadly

I recognize both stainless models are really too heavy to be optimum for a pistol but, I really like the ideal of the finned Diamond model for a AR-15 22lr or a heavy barreled varmint 22lr rifle.

At $295 retail, the aluminum Stratus model looks appealing for pistol applications at 2.4 ounces, 1 inch diameter, and 5 inches length.

Does anyone have personal experience with the new Tactical Innovations 22 long rifle suppressors? Specifically, the Quest, Stratus, and Diamond models are the ones I am interested in. I have an AAC all stainless Scarab but, I'm rethinking its use on 22lr's for general blasting because it is sealed. A lightweight aluminum suppressor that is user serviceable has some appeal and it's price point is about 1/2 the price of the sweet AAC offering. The larger Diamond looks like it was purpose built to go on a Kuehl 22lr upper and I like the fact it is finned for heat dissipation.

I have never seen or heard this generation of suppressor from Tactical Innovations in person but, I'm considering getting one. How do they rate in the real world? Is there any first round "pop" issues due to a larger size and volume in the first blast baffle? Are they hard to take apart?

What competing products out there am I missing? The Prodigy is nice but, it's a lot more money comparing the aluminum models against each other. The competition I see for the Diamond is an intergrally suppressed rifle but, those won't have finned bodies which probably aren't an advantage for semi-auto fire.

TIA!
Sid

(p.s. http://www.tacticalinc.com/shot2007-sup ... -final.pdf)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:01 pm 
Silencertalk Goon Squad

I've heard both the Tac-65 & Tac ^7 in semi and full auto.

They are both nice cans.

Both well built.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:55 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Sid Post wrote:
I recognize both stainless models are really too heavy to be optimum for a pistol but, I really like the ideal of the finned Diamond model for a AR-15 22lr or a heavy barreled varmint 22lr rifle.

At $295 retail, the aluminum Stratus model looks appealing for pistol applications at 2.4 ounces, 1 inch diameter, and 5 inches length.

Does anyone have personal experience with the new Tactical Innovations 22 long rifle suppressors? Specifically, the Quest, Stratus, and Diamond models are the ones I am interested in. I have an AAC all stainless Scarab but, I'm rethinking its use on 22lr's for general blasting because it is sealed. A lightweight aluminum suppressor that is user serviceable has some appeal and it's price point is about 1/2 the price of the sweet AAC offering. The larger Diamond looks like it was purpose built to go on a Kuehl 22lr upper and I like the fact it is finned for heat dissipation.

I have never seen or heard this generation of suppressor from Tactical Innovations in person but, I'm considering getting one. How do they rate in the real world? Is there any first round "pop" issues due to a larger size and volume in the first blast baffle? Are they hard to take apart?

What competing products out there am I missing? The Prodigy is nice but, it's a lot more money comparing the aluminum models against each other. The competition I see for the Diamond is an intergrally suppressed rifle but, those won't have finned bodies which probably aren't an advantage for semi-auto fire.

TIA!
Sid

(p.s. http://www.tacticalinc.com/shot2007-sup ... -final.pdf)

I hope to answer every single one of those questions one of these days, but it will be a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:00 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Stainless cans weigh like 7oz. They are not too heavy for any pistol, unless you've got a serious case of the limp wrist going on. My wife uses a steel can on her ruger mk2, she has never complained about the weight.

Dont settle for aluminum crap in a .22 can.

-T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:41 pm 
Silent But Deadly

I OWN an AAC Scarab and it is currently mated to a Browning Buckmark. I think I might like something with less weight out front AND something I could clean more agressively then a sealed can.

Since my Scarab is all stainless, I think I may want to reserve it for 22 Magnums and 17 HMRs or low pressure 22 centerfires (Hornet maybe?). That can is so beautiful, I don't want to waste it by filling it up with crap from 22lr's which I will shoot by the brick versus the others which will see a much smaller round count.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:52 am 
Silent But Deadly

The beauty of steel cans is that they can be cleaned more aggressively than any aluminum can. You have many options that an aluminum can will not: use an ultrasonic cleaner, and consider some of the more aggressive solvents. Heck, use a 1" diameter brass test-tube brush on it. You wont harm it.

I am having my stainless steel can notched so it can be opened for maintenance. I got to see the internals after about 1200 rounds of CCI mini mags. With the cleaning regiment that I use after each range session, I noted no buildup on the baffles.

-T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:59 pm 
Elite Member

Th Quest and Stratus are great cans! I have not seen a Diamond yet. I sell a ton of Tac cans and everyone love them. The Stratus is just a Al. Quest. If you are going to use the can primarly on a hangun or rifle and very limited FA fire then I would get the Stratus. If you are going to use it mostly on FA then I would get a Quest. The quest is a hell of a stout can. I can't imagine what the Diamond is like. Both the Stratus and Quest are very quiet, comparable to any .22 can.