SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Osprey 9mm thru .45-
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:48 pm 
Elite Member

The Osprey 45 shooting 9mm with the 9mm 1/2x28 piston is quieter than my Old Core Evo-9 shooting the same 9mm.

It's all relative...

Now is a 9mm through an Osprey 45 quieter than a NEW core Evo-9? probably not. Is it quieter than a 9mm TiRant? I am SURE it's not. Is it quieter than a 9mm Osprey?.. I am SURE it's not.

But a 9mm through a 45 Osprey may be quieter than a lot of the older "benchmark" 9mm cans which used to be considered "REAL quiet"

If it's quieter than my Evo why should I shoot the Evo? Because I can fit a TLR2 with it, but I have NO reason to use the Evo anymore on my P-226 as it has no accessory rail. So I will use the 45 Osprey on it and save my ears some.

Someday someone will have a new quiet core for it AND make it user serviceable. Till then the Osprey will get more usage than the Evo. I am hoping AAC will work with someone to install their new core guts for them... and hopefully leave it take apart at the same time.

I am not giving up hope just yet. I Like the Evo-9 "System" way to much to abandon it. The new core Evo-9 with a TRIAD trilug is one heck of a nice small efficient package that is very versatile.. All AAC needs to do to do now to improve it is make it take apart and it would be perfect. Well maybe make it 357 mag rated.. LOL But you can't ask for everything. :?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:07 am 

Will someone pm me about the group buy also Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:23 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Chondro is to Kodiak as JohnInNH is to Triad

:)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:29 am 
Elite Member

este wrote:
Chondro is to Kodiak as JohnInNH is to Triad

:)

este.. Thank you... :D

Are you familiar with how the TRIAD works? (I suspect you are) But for those who are not.....

Compare an AAC fixed barrel spacer (just and AL tube instead of the ASAP spring) The tube forces all the hot gasses into the first AL baffle vs. the TRIAD which actually insures the silencer is concentric to the Trilug, adds an extra steel baffle of sorts, which helps protect the 1st baffle, and allows some of the hot gas to enter the perforations in the piston area instead of focusing them at the 1st baffle. That is a big difference.

It also lets me attach the silencer in seconds and I can switch from one mount to another in seconds. It is more accurate, helps limit some wear on the 1st baffle, is quieter, and is a true fast attach mount, unlike ones that you still have to screw on with spring mechanisms that can get stuck, mounts that come loose, or wobble. The TRIAD is SOLID and just plain works.. All that AND it enhances performance.

I think a lot of people have no clue what it does and the benefits of using one over the fixed barrel spacer.

It does add some weight an length. Big whoop.

Just as I am not bashful about something not being a good performer like the old core Prodigy (but they fixed that. Thank you AAC), and the inability to pay for an upgrade of the Old core Evo-9. I also feel that when something works very well it should get extra recognition ... Not many people talk about the TRIAD mount or even show what one looks like. It is what makes the Evo-9 worth getting. w/o it, the EVO-9 is is nothing really all that special. I think the EVO-9 "package" is what makes it really stand out Not everyone looks at it that way.

Oh, and I am as HOT for a Kodiak as Chrondo is. Enough so I am driving down week one Sep. ... I have really started to HATE the blow back I get with the tight conventional silencers, the Prodigy as much as I like it, is a blow back offender.

I am also as hot on using my Cyclone-K on a AR-15 as I am with the TRIAD.

When things work better than the usual or traditional I would rather step out of the box and use them.

I absolutely will be getting a Liberty .22 .. as much as I like the clam shell of the SilencerCO the Kodiak with it's reduced blow back and MUCH easier core cleaning out weighs the reduced tube cleaning time the Sparrow clam shell saves you. You STILL have to use a bronze brush or bead blast them to clean it. Plus that core must be a pisser to clean. You HAVE to have a bead blaster to clean that...

With the Kodiak you can use a knife for the baffles, and the removal of the core cleans most of the crud in the tube... Then a few strokes with a 10 ga brush and you are done.

So make me a fanatic on the Kodiak, and a take apart center-fire silencer, and the TRIAD, and a threaded 308 silencer, and a 308 on a 223, and also the Osprey for many reasons. Oh I almost forgot, the 18" 1:8 twist for the AAC blackout 308 rifle.. that was EPIC. .. Oh, and let's not forget the 6.5 MPC too :wink:

AS new designs start to come out I am sure I will be HOT on some of those as well. Like Brooks at Thompson with his small light wiped cans. They too have some Very COOL stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:03 pm 
Silent But Deadly

JohnInNH wrote:
The Osprey 45 shooting 9mm with the 9mm 1/2x28 piston is quieter than my Old Core Evo-9 shooting the same 9mm.

It's all relative...

Now is a 9mm through an Osprey 45 quieter than a NEW core Evo-9? probably not. Is it quieter than a 9mm TiRant? I am SURE it's not. Is it quieter than a 9mm Osprey?.. I am SURE it's not.

But a 9mm through a 45 Osprey may be quieter than a lot of the older "benchmark" 9mm cans which used to be considered "REAL quiet"

If it's quieter than my Evo why should I shoot the Evo? Because I can fit a TLR2 with it, but I have NO reason to use the Evo anymore on my P-226 as it has no accessory rail. So I will use the 45 Osprey on it and save my ears some.

Someday someone will have a new quiet core for it AND make it user serviceable. Till then the Osprey will get more usage than the Evo. I am hoping AAC will work with someone to install their new core guts for them... and hopefully leave it take apart at the same time.

I am not giving up hope just yet. I Like the Evo-9 "System" way to much to abandon it. The new core Evo-9 with a TRIAD trilug is one heck of a nice small efficient package that is very versatile.. All AAC needs to do to do now to improve it is make it take apart and it would be perfect. Well maybe make it 357 mag rated.. LOL But you can't ask for everything. :?

I think you pretty much nailed it with your analysis.
My only "wish" or hope is that a 9mm fired through a .45 Osprey is still hearing safe and moderately louder than a dedicated 9mm Osprey can.
They look great and I am stoked to get mine in hand.
Now for the long wait.....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:52 pm 
Silent But Deadly

JohnInNH wrote:
All AAC needs to do to do now to improve it is make it take apart and it would be perfect.

From your lips to someone's ears...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:58 am 
Senior Silent Operator

uzzirider wrote:
Fireman1291 wrote:
Dont forget that the 9mm can is one inch shorter.

During that 'factory tour' youtube video, the Silencerco ppl said that the longer beta version of their 9mm Osprey was actually louder than the shorter (production) version. So, a .45 can (which is longer than the 9mm can) being used with 9mm ammo my be louder for several reasons, not just because the bore diameter is bigger than necessary.

My understanding is that this was due to the higher backpressure from the extras baffle causing higher ejection port noise; that might not be an issue (higher backpressure) with the larger bore of the .45 on the 9mm. Just a thought...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:15 pm 

Rick Finsta wrote:
uzzirider wrote:
During that 'factory tour' youtube video, the Silencerco ppl said that the longer beta version of their 9mm Osprey was actually louder than the shorter (production) version. So, a .45 can (which is longer than the 9mm can) being used with 9mm ammo my be louder for several reasons, not just because the bore diameter is bigger than necessary.

My understanding is that this was due to the higher backpressure from the extras baffle causing higher ejection port noise; that might not be an issue (higher backpressure) with the larger bore of the .45 on the 9mm. Just a thought...

Yeah. Just let the extra noise come out the front of the can instead of the back! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:46 pm 

Is the group buy going ahead I have not received a pm about it would like to know Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:43 pm 

Can I get a e-mail on the group buy price please.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:25 pm 
Silent But Deadly

http://tinyurl.com/26v4n6z

Group buy info~

Last edited by cal50 on Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:13 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Thanks now I have to buy a new can and I havent even got my first one yet. Heck I dont even have a .45 host...lol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:23 pm 

Don't feel bad. After reading all the Osprey 45 reviews I ordered one and I haven't even shot a 45, much less own one yet.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:57 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Simple_Squamous wrote:
Don't feel bad. After reading all the Osprey 45 reviews I ordered one and I haven't even shot a 45, much less own one yet.

LOL im sending my money off today for the Group Buy. I dont own a .45 either or 9mm and I got a extra 9mm piston too. The only handguns I own are in .40. I plan on changing that during my wait for it to get transferred though. Im looking at a Glock 19 and FN tactical .45. Ive only shot a .45 a couple of times since getting into the gun hobby a year ago.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:27 pm 
Elite Member

I am SOoooooooooooo glad my 45 Osprey is at my SOT's waiting for my papers... I just got a Sigg-P226 S4 as a NEW host and I got the 9mm piston for that. .. it has the light rail. My old P-226 does not have one so I could not pass it up.

I have a 45 carbine host and my RIA 1911 with the storm lake barrel in it.

In my range bag the Fixed barrel spacer and 9mm piston are in a baggie. All ready with 250 rounds of ammo so when my form 4 comes in I am ready to GO!

I am in love with the 1911 and the Osprey sounds so sweet on it.. i liked it better than the big double stack FN .. the 1911 is just sexy, like the PPK. If set up right they shoot well too... nothing feels like a good 1911 in my hand. Well One in EACH hand might be better.

Unfortunately the G19 light/laser won't let me mount the Osprey.. but if I take it off my iron sights might clear.... Hummm. The G19 may see some Osprey usage after all. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:34 pm 
Senior Silent Operator

eagerly awaiting test results

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:31 pm 
Silencertalk Goon Squad

gthirteen wrote:

It was tested.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:36 pm 
Silent But Deadly

ArevaloSOCOM wrote:
gthirteen wrote:

It was tested.

I guess the results weren't posted yet?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:28 am 
Elite Member

When I picked up my 45 Osprey, dealer recommended getting 1/2-28 piston for 9MM, as well as all other pistons I might need, as ruling on these (as not being transferable items) might change. Ordered one, and the Lone Wolf bbl for Glock 17 - should have in hand shortly and will see what's what.
FWIW, Josh at Si-Co said expect about 4-5 db louder than an Osprey 9MM on same platform. Pretty good, and about what most "normal" cans do.
We'll see.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:16 pm 
Senior Silent Operator

tease us with the mode & median?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:30 pm 
Silent But Deadly

cal50 wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/26v4n6z

Group buy info~

FYI~
Group buy ends on the 23 of August 2010.

http://tinyurl.com/2e7q8yw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:52 am 

GROUP BUY IS OFFICIALLY CLOSED. THANK YOU EVERYONE.

www.promisedlandguns.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:00 am 
Silent But Deadly

yamatitan wrote:
ArevaloSOCOM wrote:
gthirteen wrote:

It was tested.

I guess the results weren't posted yet?

were the results ever posted?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:25 pm 
Elite Member

YES,

and they are not bad at all... :mrgreen:

9mm in a 45 osprey G17 WET: http://nfatalk.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1247
Dry: http://nfatalk.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1224

I will use it on my P-226 instead of the Evo-9. But will still use the Evo on the G-19. The old core is not as quiet as the 45 Osprey. (3.5 db better with the 45 Osprey both DRY some tests show the old core as being even worse.)

I JUST got my form 4 for my Osprey and will try the P-226 with it tomorrow.

2 pics of my goofing around today. 6 shots at 21 feet nothing serious just to get a quick idea of where the 1911 prints.. the CCU optic was not sighted in for the carbine. I also did not flatten the paper so the group is smaller in the CCU target. Details at the post below.

http://nfatalk.org/forum/showthread.php ... #post11778

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:44 pm 
Elite Member

Short video of the Osprey .45 on a Glock 17. Sorry for the video, I couldn't line up for sight picture because of the screen glare, but it's from a phone cam, and the auto-gain also makes it playback louder than it sounds in reality - still, sounds like some kind air gun to me - maybe a compression fitting being pulled apart. Very serviceable, if larger than an Osprey 9 on the same platform.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnTr656YA_o

Oh yeah, forgot: 147gr. subsonics fired wet.