SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WHAT IS THE QUIETEST .22 LR SUPPRESSOR?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:02 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Ok I'm getting the itch for a new .22 can, so let me know what your opinions are. I was looking at the Liberty Shoofly, but there is know way I will buy a sealed .22 lr unit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:47 pm 
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Shoofly is very quiet, I would say the SWR Spectre and AAC Element are about the best of em. Also take a look at the Thompson Machine Zephyr XL.

I'm a little biased towards the Spectre, it's built like a tank and has great suppression.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:55 pm 
Silent But Deadly

There is no "quietest" .22 silencer --- it depends on your host, ammo, etc.

What are you intending to put it on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:12 pm 
Silent But Deadly

It willbe going on a Walther p22 and a 10/22. I will be shooting bulk pack ammo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:01 pm 
Silent Operator

gunguy wrote:
It willbe going on a Walther p22 and a 10/22. I will be shooting bulk pack ammo.

the element was made with the p-22 in mind. my p-22 with a 3.5 barrel and the element sounds like an airgun. havent tried it on anything else other then my mark-II/tac solution and it is still quiet but not as quiet as the p-22

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:29 pm 
Elite Member

Element. Have one and love it! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:49 pm 
Silent But Deadly

What about the silencerco sparrow? To my ear it is just as quiet as the element.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:05 pm 
Silencertalk Goon Squad

+1 to it depending on host and ammo. Some cans perform better on rifles, others on pistols, due to the different pressure levels. Mr. Titsworth has a huge review of .22 cans on various platforms at his site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:14 pm 
Silent But Deadly

m1garand30064 wrote:
What about the silencerco sparrow? To my ear it is just as quiet as the element.

Although not technically the quietest on either a pistol or a rifle, this is the one my trust buddy went with and I think it was an excellent decision. The unique design and takedown features made it totally worth it.

It's more than quiet enough (compares favorably to many of the most popular cans like the Outback II), and it will never get louder because cleaning it is so darned easy.

ETA: To the original poster, since you're looking for something to use on both a pistol and a rifle, you're gonna have to compromise. Some silencers do best on pistols, others on rifles. I seem to recall the Liberty Shoofly being really good on both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:25 pm 
Silent But Deadly

I love my Spectre which I shot on my p22 and 10/22. The Element and Spectre are probably the quietest.

-Edmund Kemper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:05 pm 
Silent But Deadly

from my research, the can that had the highest ratings in both the p22 and 10/22 was the new prodigy, it wasnt the highest on both, but the one that was closest to the top in both the platforms

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:15 am 
Senior Silent Operator

I still say the TM ZXL. It has insane baffles. But the tacsol and all of the AAC cans are awesome. I love my Aviator. SRT makes a INSANE MKIi. Has to be heard to believe. Tac Innovations wet is nuts quiet and cheap. So many choices. If you have the funds buy a few and you will shoot them all. If I have learned anything you have to get a .22 can you can take apart. Gunk builds up like you can't imagine. Huge chunks of carbon even using plated ammo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:23 pm 
Silent But Deadly

thanks for all the replies, I already have a TAC-65 and I like it, but i would also like to pick up another .22 lr suppressor before this type of stuff isnt sold anymore. is the element really that much better than the TAC-65? I'm still debating on a Thomson Machine Integral 10-22 barrel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:15 pm 
Silent But Deadly

gunguy wrote:
I already have a TAC-65 and I like it ... is the element really that much better than the TAC-65?

On a pistol, heck yes. On a rifle, probably not.

gunguy wrote:
I'm still debating on a Thomson Machine Integral 10-22 barrel.

Integrals are, generally, very quiet. I'm taking a good look at TM's integral bolt action Savage .22

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:25 am 
Silent But Deadly

Integrals are going to be the quietest from everything I've seen.

Between barrel porting, shorter barrels and lots of baffles, they simply work.

That's something I'd consider though, how important is it for you to transfer from firearm to firearm?

Also bolts are going to be the quietest, because of no action noise, how important is a semi-automatic action to you?

Lots of variables...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:39 am 
Silent But Deadly

What about the Liberty Kodiak? How does this rate? I am very interested in one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:13 pm 
Silent But Deadly

I've personally only fired about 4 different 22 cans on a 10/22. The quietest of those is my Liberty Shoofly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:36 pm 
Elite Member

kapkanimd wrote:
from my research, the can that had the highest ratings in both the p22 and 10/22 was the new prodigy, it wasnt the highest on both, but the one that was closest to the top in both the platforms

They say the Element is a tad quieter. The Kodiak and shoofly are also supposed to be VERY quiet too. Maybe the Kodiak has a new core and is getting the better db numbers.

I find the New Core Prodigy on a rifle quite impressive.. not bad on a p-22 either. The new core vs the old core is flat out amazing.

Now if we can only get our Evo-9's re-cored (I will pay AAC for the work) I would be REALLY happy.

Both the Element and New core Prodigy are darn quiet. Apparently Liberty has a core in the .22 can that might even top both of them. If his db numbers were right he has them beat.

Liberty is a top contender for the .22 market. Easy to clean, quiet. and super customer service.

Element
Kodiak
Shoofly
Prodigy

seem to be the top 4 All have individual qualities. All are very different all are TOP performers.

My Prodigy is stupid quiet with subsonic in my CZ bolt 16" barrel. Quieter than my single shot pellet rifle... and probably quieter than my bb gun. Bullet impact dwarfs the noise from the rifle. EVEN is louder when I shoot into soft moss. Which is 1/4 the noise of the dirt embankment or a rotten log... Mud, water or a rock is LOUD

On the pistols it's louder, but mostly it leads up so much faster the clean up is a bitch. Also in all but the P-22 reliability falls off VERY fast due to blow-back. I would love to know which of the 4 silencers has the LEAST blow-back/back pressure. THAT might be the deciding factor.. But how can we determine that.

It woudl be fairly subjective. Try all 4 with the same ammo in all my hosts to see which is the most reliable. Graphing the # of shots from each before reliability for each freshly cleaned firearm starts to fall off.

To me that would be a very important factor in making the choice between the 4... But who and how could we get some data like that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:44 pm 
The Slippery One

I wish someone would make a big fat nasty .22lr can that was like a foot long and 2 inches thick. i bet it'd be INSANE! it could be sealed and only require cleaning every 49 thousand rounds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:53 pm 
Silencertalk Goon Squad

cdmillig wrote:
I wish someone would make a big fat nasty .22lr can that was like a foot long and 2 inches thick. i bet it'd be INSANE! it could be sealed and only require cleaning every 49 thousand rounds

The Thompson Machine SG is a foot long and 2 inches in diameter, actually. Plus, it can be taken apart for cleaning. Sure it's for 9mm, but I suppose you could still use it on a .22. You might actually be able to use wipes with it, to get the best .22 performance, but you'd have to ask the guys at TM if that's possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:42 pm 
Silent But Deadly

kapkanimd wrote:

Yes, I was going to say the same thing. Prodigy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:49 pm 

I've got a new 22 sparrow. I've got a little more than 2k rounds thru it. It's quiet on my 10/22, my walther p22 and my browning buckmark. I love it. And, it's extremely easy to clean, especially if you follow the instructions. To each his own. The sparrow is a good buy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:39 am 
Silent But Deadly

JPratt06 wrote:
There is no "quietest" .22 silencer --- it depends on your host, ammo, etc.

What are you intending to put it on?

So....what is the "quietest" setup ... can, ammo, host? Looking for currently available off the shelf products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:00 am 

The quietest set up would be an integrally suppressed bolt action rifle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:17 am 
Silent But Deadly

mp15t wrote:
The quietest set up would be an integrally suppressed bolt action rifle.

Yup.