SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tactical Innovations Stratus
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:55 pm 
Silent Operator

For my 2nd NFA purchase I wanted to get a suppressor. Due to my financial situation at the time (and ammo prices going up) I chose the .22 route. My dealer only had an Outback II to demo which was fun and all, but I wanted something that I could take apart and clean myself. I decided on the Stratus after poking around a bit. (un)fortunately there are a gajillion choices for .22 cans, so I pretty much closed my eyes and pointed at a selection that I was most interested in. Approval came just short of 6 weeks and finally got to take possession. I mostly shoot it on my Buckmark w/4" Tactical Solutions barrel and a mix of Augila HV, Federal auto match & Remington subsonic HP. The sound is like an airgun with a low tone and is very comfortable to shoot w/o any hearing protection. Taking apart is very easy. I just put 1 tool in a vise and then put the can on top of it and twist to losen the cap. Turn over & repeat. Removing the baffles can take some work after only 200+ rounds. I use a wooden dowel and a mallet and basically bang them out. I had to go to the manufacturer's site to get the order of the baffle stack, but I actually called them to make sure (I was given some info that wasn't on the site) because nothing came with the can. I'm happy with it and it actually makes me go out and shoot more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:23 pm 
Elite Member

Good for you. Glad you like it. They are neat small, light cans. Definately one of my favs.

Post subject: Try Winchester Dynapoint
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:46 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Winchester Dynapoint, copper plated bullet, subsonic, more consistant than Rem Subsonic and cheaper, not cheap but cheaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:29 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Are Dynapoints subsonic in rifles too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:15 am 
Silent Operator

I agree that the Remington subsonics aren't that great. I picked up a brick about a year ago and are getting around to shooting them all. I've been looking for the dynapoints at a couple Wal Marts in my area but haven't been able to find any in a long time. All they have in bulk is the Remingtons, Winchester Xperts, Federal bulk & auto match.

Post subject: Re: Tactical Innovations Stratus
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:34 am 
Silent But Deadly

Mattitude wrote:
For my 2nd NFA purchase I wanted to get a suppressor. Due to my financial situation at the time (and ammo prices going up) I chose the .22 route. My dealer only had an Outback II to demo which was fun and all, but I wanted something that I could take apart and clean myself. I decided on the Stratus after poking around a bit. (un)fortunately there are a gajillion choices for .22 cans, so I pretty much closed my eyes and pointed at a selection that I was most interested in. Approval came just short of 6 weeks and finally got to take possession. I mostly shoot it on my Buckmark w/4" Tactical Solutions barrel and a mix of Augila HV, Federal auto match & Remington subsonic HP. The sound is like an airgun with a low tone and is very comfortable to shoot w/o any hearing protection. Taking apart is very easy. I just put 1 tool in a vise and then put the can on top of it and twist to losen the cap. Turn over & repeat. Removing the baffles can take some work after only 200+ rounds. I use a wooden dowel and a mallet and basically bang them out. I had to go to the manufacturer's site to get the order of the baffle stack, but I actually called them to make sure (I was given some info that wasn't on the site) because nothing came with the can. I'm happy with it and it actually makes me go out and shoot more.

I have one and like it, awesome on my Pac-lite. I took mine apart at 500 rnds and it was tough to get apart. Already had lead build up on the first couple baffles. I kept track of the order the baffles came out, so I could put them back in right. I think the only one that matters is the one with the hole drilled in it. Now I just need a blast cabinet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:11 pm 
Silent Operator

The baffle with the hole goes in the #4 position. Also the ports on the side of the baffles go 90 degrees apart in a counter clockwise rotation...that was mentioned in my phone conversation with TI. I shot her again this afternoon on my lunch break after picking up some Federal bulk from Wally's. I also shot about 30 rounds with a little water as well and it did change the tone to a nice lower note and a blast of mist with each shot. A benefit of running the water was that it made the baffles come out much easier and they were easier to clean!!! I took it apart about 20 minutes afte shooting it, so it was still wet inside and that I assume made the gunk come off easier.

Post subject: Dynapoints
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:34 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Dynapoints stay subsonic in rifles I have upto 16" barrels, I have nothing longer to test them in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:03 pm 
Elite Member

they do in 20" barrels too. Once every 20 rounds or so i will get one go supersonic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:02 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Good deal, I'll try them out on my 20" barrel.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:48 pm 
Silent But Deadly

what's the dif between this one and the TAC 65, other than shorter, lighter, and one less baffle? Are they quieter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:10 pm 
Silent Operator

I haven't shot a Tac 65, but from what TI said is that the Stratus is only a hair quieter on the meter.