SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Does carbon build up make a silencer more quiet?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:06 am 

Short story: I just received a ti-rant. This is not about the ti-rant specifically but about any silencer. Anyway, when I ordered this I had read that the ti-rant was user serviceable. I was really stupid in not realizing that dealers were still sending out old stock so I did not question the seller. Now I get a sealed can and I talk to my dealer and he tells me that you don't have to clean a silencer. His stance is that carbon will make a silencer more quiet and in fact you have to put some rounds through them to get them to be as quiet as they should be. He says he shoots 5000 rounds a year through his "prairie dog silencer" and has never cleaned it. I'm actually angry (at myself mostly) for buying a silencer I cannot take apart to clean without perfoming a jailbreak and potentially damaging something that takes about 6 months to get. My feelings about carbon build up after being a shooter all my life is that carbon build up equals lower performance. Maybe at first not so much, but down the road performance will degrade. So I'm wondering what do you all think? I've been a shooter for many many years but not very experienced with silencers. Not that I'm going to do anything about it because I don't really have any recourse with the dealer. I did not insist on the new model. I mistakenly thought I'd get the new model. Really stupid on my part. I'm really angry with myself right now. What are your thoughts on this? Does a silencer get better with use?

Post subject: Re: Does carbon build up make a silencer more quiet?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:29 am 
Silent But Deadly

The first couple of shots after cleaning are always going to be the loudest . . . you have the most amount of space between the baffles and the tube which will indeed be later filled up with carbon essentially sealing it off (which is why they become harder to take out later).

They don't get any "better" with more shots . . . but its not like it will get substancially worse. Someone else can tell you how often they clean their TiRant and how full of carbon it is at each interval but I would imagine you would have to shoot A LOT before it got so bad that the performance started to deteriorate significantly. 9mm doesn't leave a whole lot of "trash" in the can so in all honesty you might not ever need to clean it if you shoot 150-200 rounds a month (or 1-2 weekends a month)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:54 am 
Silent But Deadly

I heard all of the talk about not needing to clean it but I just couldn't stand owning something that I knew could be taken apart and not being able to take it apart. Therefore, I jail-broke my TiRant .45 It wasn't that terribly dirty and I think I must have had a couple thousand rounds through it but I am not really positive. Anyhow, I took my time and did it right so I did not mess up my can and now I have a user-serviceable can and am quite happy with it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:33 pm 

copenhagen wrote:
I heard all of the talk about not needing to clean it but I just couldn't stand owning something that I knew could be taken apart and not being able to take it apart. Therefore, I jail-broke my TiRant .45 It wasn't that terribly dirty and I think I must have had a couple thousand rounds through it but I am not really positive. Anyhow, I took my time and did it right so I did not mess up my can and now I have a user-serviceable can and am quite happy with it.

That's my stance. Maybe they don't need to be cleaned. Maybe if I put 5,000 rounds a year through this it will hold up for years. However, #1, I don't know if I believe that and #2, I simply like to be able to clean and service my own firearms. I do wish the dealer would have told me that there were old and new model tirants because I would not have purchased the old model. But really, I should have found that out in my research as well and I did not. I can't lay all the blame on him. I have a tirant .45 as well and have ordered a breakdown tool from Pain. I'm just not happy with myself. I could have saved myself a lot of trouble by searching for more information before deciding on the can I was going to buy. At the time I did not know there were tirants that are sealed and I did not realize just how long it takes to get one. If it were easy, I'd just trade this in but it's not that easy. Grrrrr. I'm sure I'll get over it but I'm currently feeling angry.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:28 pm 
Silent But Deadly

In my experience, I have found that you have to be very specific with fire arms dealers to get exactly what you want. They have too much inventory to be able to keep track of whats the latest and greatest.

TCT

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:13 pm 
Senior Silent Operator

how could your dealer possibly come to this conclusion????

carbon buildup lessens the amount of cubic space inside the can, correct?

would you rather have MORE volume or LESS volume to contain and cool the expanding gasses?

doesn't take a rocket surgeon.

first of all, centerfire rifle cans are a different animal entirely. the majority of the funk it blown out of the device due to the enormous amount of pressure.

pistol cans need not be cleaned very often either as a result; however, it can't hurt a coupla times a year depending on rount count.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:52 pm 
Silent But Deadly

On jacketed rounds I would be more worried about baffle erosion than filling it up.

I definitely would not say they get quieter. That would be very hard to prove one way or the other and would be a waste of time IMO. I think you should just know they don't get louder, they just tend to wear out the baffles somewhat, but if you can afford the ammo to wear out a suppressor I think you could buy another one :D

I would give that dealer a hard time for not telling you he is selling old stock if he didn't. Hell, maybe he can give you a discount on a future suppressor. Worst they can tell you is no...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:33 pm 

Tin_Can_Terminator wrote:
In my experience, I have found that you have to be very specific with fire arms dealers to get exactly what you want. They have too much inventory to be able to keep track of whats the latest and greatest.

TCT

I agree with you. I have to take responsibility here for not being very direct with him as to my expectations. I simply did not know there were two different tirants. The ACC website simply said they were serviceable. I'm not about to go after the dealer nor will I mention him by name here. It's not all his fault.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:41 pm 

ghostdog662 wrote:
I would give that dealer a hard time for not telling you he is selling old stock if he didn't. Hell, maybe he can give you a discount on a future suppressor. Worst they can tell you is no...

The dealer just sent me an email. He knows I'm angry and wants to help. There may not be much he can do but he is in contact with ACC. He actually told me that he thought mine was the lastest model and should be serviceable. I think he is wrong. I think this is a sealed can. In the end, whatever end this comes to, I'm happy that he is concerned. Again, I don't really think there is much that can be done. I think the new end caps are not a fit for the sealed models so I just don't think this is an easy fix. I'll see how it all plays out. I'm starting to simmer down and starting to decide on my next course of action. My ranting is about done now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:40 pm 

Interesting addition to this thread. I was getting perturbed by this ordeal because I thought I was ordering the new take apart tirant. In fact, I got the info from the AAC website. How would I know that the dealer was sending me a non take apart model? So I and the dealer had some more back and forths. I was sure I had talked with him about this prior to paying. I was even getting mad that I was taking some of the responsibility. I should get what I order. Period. I do have to say that this dealer is top knotch. He really cares and has no intentions of ripping anyone off. He was under the impression that the tirants he had just bought for resale were the new take apart models. He knew that I wanted that model and remembered visiting with me about it. So he got to his distributor and then to AAC. I was instructed to send mine back to AAC. So now it's more waiting. I waited about 6 months to get this and now I'm waiting again but I'll wait to get it right. I've only been on the range once with it. I love it. I hope AAC takes care of this in a timely manner. I like shooting in the winter here because often I'm the only one on the outdoor range. I can take my time and shoot how ever many rounds I feel like shooting. I bring along a few targets and a candy bar and some water and make an afternoon outing out of it. In the summer every guy and his little girlfriend are out blasting away with their pistols. I prefer the cold weather. It keeps all the Sunday shooters indoors. Anyway, my understanding is that since I ordered a take apart tirant, that is what I will have. I don't know much else except that I've decided to fight to get what I paid for. I'm happy that my dealer and ACC are "looking into the matter". Right now it's on its way to Georgia.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:24 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Think of 22s. When you shoot 22 cans you really need take apart cans, because the 22 bullets lead up the insides. If they don't get cleaned, they will become solid and the can won't silence a thing.

So it depends on what you shoot and the pressures involved. Rifle cans normally shoot a form of jacketed bullet with enormous pressure. Rifle cans don't need cleaning for this reason. The pressures blow out 99% of the junk. They will carbon up, but it won't build up.

Pistol cans should be cleaned, especially if you shoot cast bullets. Heavy carbon build up should make them less effective. IMHO.

I enjoy cleaning my 45 can now. I set up a little pail of soap & water with dawn in the sink, then brush first then wash off all the parts. Then rinse under the tap. I let it air dry then reassemble. I add a drop or two of clp on the threads of the end cap and oil the booster area and I'm done.

It smells nice when I'm done and my hands aren't destroyed from wet solvents.

I've heard the military didn't want the silencers they purchase serviceable, so that's why they normally make them sealed. Only demand from hobbyist got them making them serviceable.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:47 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Yea if they were serviceable, Pain, think about how many troops would acquire a baffle here and a baffle there until they could build their own...hahaha...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:48 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Back to your original posting question.

I have been told by a reliable source that has quality sound testing equipment that a squeaky clean suppressor will not give you optimum performance.

No explanation was given. Weather as mentioned it fills up voids between baffles and tubes and keeps gases trapped in the various chambers or perhaps the carbon gives a more matte finish that slows the gases down or a combination of both or something that I have not thought of, I don't know.

Regardless, I was told that optimum results would not start to happen until ~100 rounds from brand new. On this principal I don't kill myself when cleaning things. If it gets super clean easily then great. If the crap is really impacted than I will just scrap with a piece of wood to remove 95% of the accumulation and leave a thin coating of junk on the baffles. I just don't want things getting so bad that it becomes hard to take things apart or flow paths get obstructed.

Obviously once accumulation of carbon, lead, lube, etc has significantly filled up the suppressor than suppression would be certainly not be helped and probably harmed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:21 pm 

It seems somewhere back sometime ago I might have come across a you-tube vid where the shooter mentioned that the silencer got more quiet after first use. I'm not certain I doubt that. I do suspect that over time too much carbon build up will take it the other way but and regardless of how many thousands of rounds that takes, I want to be able to clean mine. It just doesn't seem like too much to ask.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:52 pm 
Industry Professional

bbach wrote:
It seems somewhere back sometime ago I might have come across a you-tube vid where the shooter mentioned that the silencer got more quiet after first use. I'm not certain I doubt that. I do suspect that over time too much carbon build up will take it the other way but and regardless of how many thousands of rounds that takes, I want to be able to clean mine. It just doesn't seem like too much to ask.

With a little carbon the tone will change, I want to say its due to harmonics but not for certain. A spotless can will sound like the day you bought it, a carbon'd can will sound better to some and louder to others. I think the happy medium is being able to shoot it for a few hundred rounds and clean it and repeat, nothing wrong with a factory new sounding can or manufacturers would pre-carbon it for you.

If its a 22lr you need to be able to clean it, it gets gunked fast and you will regret not being able to clean it fast!

For centerfire pistol there is less of a need but the need is still there. We just cracked a 45 can with 8,000 rounds in it and its sealed, can't even press the baffles out! Weighs almost double of the original weight and the owner swears he hasn't fired 22lr in it just whot it wet with WWB 45ACP!

When we jailbroke my Trident it weighed over double what it was originally and there was no lead or 22lr down the pipe, it was all jacketed ammo! There is a picture of the underside of the blast baffle on our website.

Every Evo9(our most common jailbreak) owner that has had their cans jailbroken can attest to the huge amount of gunk they saw inside, there are pictures in the jailbreak groupbuy thread showing the massive volume of buildup in those.

So in short you do need to be able to service your pistol/rimfire suppressors. I think the urgency is based on your shooting regime. If you shoot a couple boxes a year i wouldn't worry about it but if you shoot anything that could be considered alot of volume then you need to do it sooner rather than later. We get alot of people that jailbreak their cans as soon as the Form is approved or during the approval process. I will say that the sooner its jailbroken the better you can maintain it and a brand new can that is jailbroken will have a much longer liefspan than one thats done later in life.

-B

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:12 pm 
Industry Professional

PAIN wrote:
I've heard the military didn't want the silencers they purchase serviceable, so that's why they normally make them sealed. Only demand from hobbyist got them making them serviceable.

For the most part the military prefers them sealed only for the reason of making it soldier-proof. If a troop can take it apart then the possibility of them damaging it is dramatically increased. Make them soldier proof limits the number that are out of commission due to soldier means the amount of out of service cans is reduced due to a soldier messing it up.

I can't tell you the amount of time I have seen soldiers try to put things back together backwards in an M16 WHILE looking at the TM.

At the same time certain units WANT them serviceable and when the manufacturers DON'T provide them serviceable they are jailbroken and they move on.

I think the major reason we are seeing them user serviceable from the factory is because for years all the manufacturers have said "You will never need to clean your pistol or rimfire silencer, they just don't get dirty" and all us that provide the jailbreaking services are PROVING that that claim couldn't be further from the truth!

-B

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:15 am 
Silent But Deadly

Bendersquint wrote:
Weighs almost double of the original weight and the owner swears he hasn't fired 22lr in it just whot it wet with WWB 45ACP!

You probably know as well as anyone . . . shooting wet leaves in a lot more "junk" that otherwise gets blown out of the end of the can when its dry.

I've shot 20 rounds through a wet TiRant 9 and it had as much visible junk as a dry one with 100-120 rounds through it.

Bendersquint wrote:
I think the major reason we are seeing them user serviceable from the factory is because for years all the manufacturers have said "You will never need to clean your pistol or rimfire silencer, they just don't get dirty" and all us that provide the jailbreaking services are PROVING that that claim couldn't be further from the truth!

Well that and its tougher to engineer something that is easily taken apart . . . its not enough to be "user-servicable" now the competitve advantage is how quickly/easily you can take it apart.

In the days of sealed cans a manufacturer could leave bad surface finishes, larger tolerances (and more loctite/jb weld to fill in the gap), no deburring, and designs that would be a pain to take out even if you could get the end caps off.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:11 pm 
Elite Member

AND back in the day when you sent it in you got back a NEW shiny replacement silencer with you old serial # on it.

Unfortunately that is not the case anymore.

(UNLESS it's a manufacturers defect and the original manufacturer replaces it)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:21 am 
Silent But Deadly

I know that I have learned not to shoot a suppressor wet for any reason other than added sound suppression.

When I was first starting out I thought that a squirt of CLP in the can every so often would help to keep crap "moving" or "loose" in the suppressor and that the crap would not stick as much inside, but instead would keep moving out the front.

I was wrong, wet is like a magnet for junk.

I realized this one day after a bunch of 22 ammo and I had the suppressor make a sound like an Estes model rocket engine with a substantial stream for smoke blasting out the suppressor, this was ignited by one of the shots I was firing.

So much unburned powder had accumulated in the suppressor that it was ignited by one of the shots (this was in a short barrel MKII pistol) no damage was done but it was a surprise.

Since then I have left my suppressors dry and have had no where near the crap accumulation or and Estes rocket incident. It also seems to make no difference at cleaning time. Regardless of wet or dry, the crap is impacted onto the baffles.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:11 am 
Silent But Deadly

I ink the correct answer is yes and no.
Initially, yes. A fouled can generally will get quieter than from when it is new.... To a point. You will reach a point where fouling ,reduction in voulume and restriction or redirection of gas flow will negatively impact sound reduction. This is especially true in rimfire cans and happens much faster in them.

In centerfire handgun, cans shot wet foul more quickly...absolute certainty.
I do not feel that the average user of a centerfire handgun can will shoot it enough to cause a reduction in its effeciency due to fouling. Can it be done... Absolutely.. With a monumental ammunition expenditure. We have ospreys with thousands and thousands of rounds through them that we have dissasembled to check this very thing and all showed minimal fouling...nothing that could account for any kind of efficiency reduction.

There is a big difference in centerfire lead bullets and jacketed bullets in terms of fouling.
There is no such difference in rimfire. Copperwashed is not jacketed.

gary@silencerco.com
www.silencerco.com
801-417-5384

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:11 am 
Silent But Deadly

I ink the correct answer is yes and no.
Initially, yes. A fouled can generally will get quieter than from when it is new.... To a point. You will reach a point where fouling ,reduction in voulume and restriction or redirection of gas flow will negatively impact sound reduction. This is especially true in rimfire cans and happens much faster in them.

In centerfire handgun, cans shot wet foul more quickly...absolute certainty.
I do not feel that the average user of a centerfire handgun can will shoot it enough to cause a reduction in its effeciency due to fouling. Can it be done... Absolutely.. With a monumental ammunition expenditure. We have ospreys with thousands and thousands of rounds through them that we have dissasembled to check this very thing and all showed minimal fouling...nothing that could account for any kind of efficiency reduction.

There is a big difference in centerfire lead bullets and jacketed bullets in terms of fouling.
There is no such difference in rimfire. Copperwashed is not jacketed.

gary@silencerco.com
www.silencerco.com
801-417-5384

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:10 am 

Here is a quote from Mike @ AAC about cleaning my M4 2000 sealed suppressor. He said it should not really need much cleaning but "You can soak it in whatever you use to clean your gun every 5k rounds if you like. Just place a cork in the muzzle and full the silencer full. Let it set an hour or so and then blow out with compressed air" :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:23 pm 
Industry Professional

GWL wrote:
Here is a quote from Mike @ AAC about cleaning my M4 2000 sealed suppressor. He said it should not really need much cleaning but "You can soak it in whatever you use to clean your gun every 5k rounds if you like. Just place a cork in the muzzle and full the silencer full. Let it set an hour or so and then blow out with compressed air" :D

Rifle cans don't need it due to thehigh pressures involved and compared to pistols/rimfire it burns alot cleaner.
Gary - Do you consider 4,000 rounds as a monumental expenditure of ammo? Here is a picture of a Trident blast baffle after 4,000 rounds of plated bullets DRY and after it had been soaking in the dip for over 24 hours!

I think is based on its design.. The K baffle common to alot of cans collects alot of fouling and buildup is very noticeable after a couple thousand rounds. We recently jailbroke a ancient 22lr silencer that used spacers and washers and it had over 15,000 documented rounds through it and it looked like it had hardly been shot compared to the K baffle 22lr can.

I think the design determines how much or how little fouling it will collect. The Osprey doesn't seem to collect much, 95% of the silencers out there are gunk magnets. My guess is that the Osprey doesn't collect much gunk because of its massive internal volume, we have seem similar results with other hi volume cans.

Thoughts?

-B

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:39 pm 
Silent But Deadly

[quote=
Gary - Do you consider 4,000 rounds as a monumental expenditure of ammo? Here is a picture of a Trident blast baffle after 4,000 rounds of plated bullets DRY and after it had been soaking in the dip for over 24 hours!

I think is based on its design.. The K baffle common to alot of cans collects alot of fouling and buildup is very noticeable after a couple thousand rounds. We recently jailbroke a ancient 22lr silencer that used spacers and washers and it had over 15,000 documented rounds through it and it looked like it had hardly been shot compared to the K baffle 22lr can.

I think the design determines how much or how little fouling it will collect. The Osprey doesn't seem to collect much, 95% of the silencers out there are gunk magnets. My guess is that the Osprey doesn't collect much gunk because of its massive internal vol

[/quote]

I think you are correct in the design aspect. It certainly plays into it. Plated bullets also play into it. I just got off the phone with a guy who has a HEMS he shot plated bullets through and it is leaded to all hell. I believe he sent it to you for jail-breaking and said you couldn't get it apart. that can is on its way back for us to look at..the customer did verify use of plated lead, not jacketed bullets. be interesting to see. He said it was pretty heavy, so most likely leaded.

plated bullets seem to lead cans pretty badly.. for some reason more than even exposed lead traditional swaged jacket bullets.. Softer lead alloy's perhaps? I bet John in NH has shot a ton of super hard cast with less leading through his mystics

The Octane with Factory Jacketed bullets has exhibited excellent fouling qualities...as in it seems to stay pretty clean...perhaps since it is dissasembleable though, we just check it more often and break some s--t loose :D

gary@silencerco.com
www.silencerco.com
801-417-5384

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:04 pm 
Elite Member

I have to say now that I have a take apart evo-9 (thanks Matt) and the Mystic... I do shoot a lot of lead subsonic bullets ...

I also hesitantly shot some PLATED 44 240 gr HP bullets through my Osprey. (5.3 gr of American Select) .. They are not very fast about 800 FPS from a 9" Thompson Center Contender and sound nice.

I had 500 of the plated 240's I get NO leading in the barrel ZERO... I also have inspected the Osprey very closely for lead and have seen no real signs of leading so far. I was very worried about it but so far so good.

I did test some 200 gr lead hard cast and after 4 shots decided it was NOT OK. These were the same charge of AS but with the 200 gr bullet. I noticed a very slight condensation of lead mist which I have seen in my Mystic and know how much this can = after some time, so I STOPPED and will NOT shoot any more..

I then tried some coated lead bullets from Precision. I have about 2000 of the 200 gr 44's

In my revolvers I got some leading maybe in a revolver the side gets scuffed off in the gap... BUT maybe these bullets in a single shot are OK. I will test some more. If they do not lead they may be the solution for a less expensive, SOFT, easy to deform bullet for subsonic usage.

Unfortunately they no longed make them in .44! But for .45 and 9mm (147gr is in the product offering) these may be a good option to "Plated" bullets.

More later after I test some more of the "black bullets"

A melted bullet: http://www.precisionbullets.com/IMG/bullet1.jpg

See below

---------------- Precision Bullets --------
Precision Bullets are swaged with certified 6/2 lead alloy. We then apply our unique dry-lube formula. This process completely encases the precision lead core.

What does this mean for you? Safe for indoor ranges. No leading in the barrel. Fire more rounds downrange between cleanings. Load twice as long and twice as much before cleaning your dies. Less smoke since no messy wax lubricants are used.

Precision Bullets cost only a few dollars more than the cheapest cast lead bullets, but they give you jacketed bullet ballistics.

They are clean, safe and accurate.

You can fire our bullets at over 2000 feet per second with no leading and no copper fouling and no messy lubricants.

The tough coat protects the bullet from damage and is a natural lubricant. It keeps the bullet at tight factory dimensions and goes through the bore intact.

That means no lead on your hands, no lead dust and no toxic fumes.

Even long sessions at the loading bench or when shooting on indoor ranges. It means clean hands, clean guns, clean reloading dies - and clean air.

And you get a bullet which is highly uniform in weight and dimension.

--------------- and a review here: http://www.precisionbullets.com/articles/fs0202pg62.htm