SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who all makes adjustable gas blocks for AR-15?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:56 pm 

PRI, Noveski, and JP is what I've found. Am I missing any? Also, personal experience with any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

My goal here is to keep my precision AR from fouling so quickly (50-80 rounds before accuracy greatly degrades).

Thanks gents.

Post subject: Re: Who all makes adjustable gas blocks for AR-15?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:38 pm 
Silent But Deadly

JP's is just a set screw iirc. And Noveske is a toggle. If you are going to shoot only suppressed or only unsuppressed the JP will be fine, if you're going to switch between I would get the Noveske.

Be warned though, if you are getting that much fouling, I would think it is not a gas port/system issue but rather the amount of backpressure of the can itself and the dwell time the bolt is closed. I would also suggest looking at a heavier buffer to try and keep it closed a little longer.

You should also try other ammo. And if you are running a lighter AR carrier, consider an m16 carrier instead (most are).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:31 pm 
Silent But Deadly

http://secure.adpay.com/clicknbuy.aspx?p=2079&itemid=2541516&networkview=False&catid=5500&pcatid=500MS

Quote:
Offering 2 and 3 position gas blocks for sale.
Requires cutting one inch off your gas tube.
Two position is open and closed or High and low pressure.Three position is closed,low and high pressure.Stainless or parkerised steel.Sizes are .750, .875, .936, and custom
Cost is $60 shipped.Contact tp555@windstream dot net or Paladin Machine 803-475-7542

No personal experience, but looks stout, at a decent price.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:52 pm 
Silent But Deadly

este wrote:
Be warned though, if you are getting that much fouling, I would think it is not a gas port/system issue but rather the amount of backpressure of the can itself and the dwell time the bolt is closed. I would also suggest looking at a heavier buffer to try and keep it closed a little longer.

You should also try other ammo. And if you are running a lighter AR carrier, consider an m16 carrier instead (most are).

Good advice IMO. I'm running a LR-308 with an Ops 12th and standard DI tube, and haven't experienced any decrease in functionality or accuracy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:41 am 
Silent But Deadly

I run the JP Enterprise gas block on my 24'' AR and love it. I have the allen screw set to cut off 3/4th's of the gas and it functions flawless. (Take a peak at where its at before you put it on the gun so then you know based on where the allen screw it how much is shut off.) When I first got it I probably put about 3-400 rounds through it without cleaning the gun. It was still grouping about half an inch at 100 yards then. I was running a Hoppes boresnake through the barrel here and there but not sure if I did at that time or not. My groups started opening up a few weeks ago and I thought I may had shot out that barrel but a good scrub with a copper brush and some Wally's bore cleaner and its doing good again but hit or miss some days (Wow the crap the boresnake missed!)..Has me scratching my head. Probably just need to seat them a few thousandths longer now. That load will only do about a half inch but loaded a 1000 up of it and just getting rid of them now before another run of a newer load..So my results with it are consistent even if less than ideal. Oh and the Can really tightened up the groups on that gun!

That gas block with the PRI gas buster charging handle have really reduced fouling and almost eliminated the gas in the face. Every once and awhile I have a shot gas me a tad. Almost like the gun reaches that perfect temperature and bam I get hit..

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:50 am 
Industry Professional

garandman wrote:

http://secure.adpay.com/clicknbuy.aspx?p=2079&itemid=2541516&networkview=False&catid=5500&pcatid=500MS

Quote:
Offering 2 and 3 position gas blocks for sale.
Requires cutting one inch off your gas tube.
Two position is open and closed or High and low pressure.Three position is closed,low and high pressure.Stainless or parkerised steel.Sizes are .750, .875, .936, and custom
Cost is $60 shipped.Contact tp555@windstream dot net or Paladin Machine 803-475-7542

No personal experience, but looks stout, at a decent price.

I had one awhile ago and it was OK, the selector got stuck ALL the time! Was pretty crude machining, with alot and I mean ALOT of toolmarks all over it.

We will be offering a adjustable gas block in the next little while, the R&D pieces will be finished soon and sent out to our beta testers for testing.

-B

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:37 pm 

este wrote:
JP's is just a set screw iirc. And Noveske is a toggle. If you are going to shoot only suppressed or only unsuppressed the JP will be fine, if you're going to switch between I would get the Noveske.

I'd love that Noveske, but the bastard is like $180. I think I'm gonna try the JP or the PRI like Chondro. I am already running the Wolff extra power spring. I'll look into a heavier buffer and M16 carrier.

My ammo is reloaded using Varget powder. I know that Varget is dirty, but its also temp stable. Maybe I should reroll with TAC......

Appreciate the help guys.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:10 pm 
Industry Professional

The Switchblock is not adjustable, it has a separate gas port for the suppressed setting. It can't loose adjustment, is perfectly repeatable going from suppressed to normal as much as you like, and the settings have been tested to provide reliable cyclic rates.

It comes set for a specific caliber, barrel length and gas system length. The design is more complex than a set screw into the side of the gas tube and the cost reflects that. If the set screw gas block meets your needs at a lower cost I understand, but the features of the Switchblock are not an apples to apples comparison.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:21 pm 
Silent But Deadly

fireguyty wrote:
I'd love that Noveske, but the bastard is like $180.

And worth it.

What did you pay for your silencer? Host? Tax Stamp? F--k man, NFA is not the game to be buying cheap. Personally, I can not afford to buy cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:35 pm 

I am not trying to fling mud at Noveske, because most are thrilled with the way their Noveske products work. However, the only time I dished the big bucks for Noveske was for a 21" AR-10 barrel. It shot slightly worse groups than the factory Armalite barrel it replaced despite the two months worth of hand loads and factory loads I experimented with. Its difficult for me to slap three times the money down for a name brand that I personally have had poor luck with.

I do recognize that they are not exactly the same though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:01 pm 
Silent But Deadly

make your own.
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=72023

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:00 am 

I don't think you'll be satisfied with an adjustable gas block overall. It will help noticeably with recoil but probably not much at all for fouling. Have you considered a piston system? I would not want to put a can on a direct gas gun. I shoot an LWRC and an Adams Arms upper. Cleaning is a snap with both compared to any direct impingement gas tube gun. I have heard DI is more accurate because of the piston flexing the barrel a bit but you can overcome that with the heavier barrels and adjusting your loads to match.

If you are sticking with the gas tube (presumably for accuracy?) check out the failzero bolt carriers and upper. They use the same coating as LWRC and it really is easy to clean. Even after heavy firing you can just wipe the bolt and chamber clean with a rag.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:13 am 
Elite Member

BLMJ wrote:
I don't think you'll be satisfied with an adjustable gas block overall. It will help noticeably with recoil but probably not much at all for fouling. Have you considered a piston system? I would not want to put a can on a direct gas gun. I shoot an LWRC and an Adams Arms upper. Cleaning is a snap with both compared to any direct impingement gas tube gun. I have heard DI is more accurate because of the piston flexing the barrel a bit but you can overcome that with the heavier barrels and adjusting your loads to match.

If you are sticking with the gas tube (presumably for accuracy?) check out the failzero bolt carriers and upper. They use the same coating as LWRC and it really is easy to clean. Even after heavy firing you can just wipe the bolt and chamber clean with a rag.

Both DI and piston AR's get super dirty when shooting with a can as the blow back comes from the chamber.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:42 am 
Silent But Deadly

Tagged to keep an eye on

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:49 am 

redtazdog wrote:
BLMJ wrote:

Both DI and piston AR's get super dirty when shooting with a can as the blow back comes from the chamber.

This was my understanding as well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:47 pm 
Silent But Deadly

redtazdog wrote:

I converted my DI upper to piston via the Adams Arms kit.

With DI,I'd get to maybe 100 rounds suprpessed before failures would start.

Since installing the piston kit, I got hundreds of rounds thru the upper suppressed, and no failures.

I run the upper bone dry.

The majority of the crap does come from the chamber, but my own experience indicates a piston upper can in fact help.

OMMV

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:40 pm 
Silent But Deadly

garandman wrote:
redtazdog wrote:

I converted my DI upper to piston via the Adams Arms kit.

With DI,I'd get to maybe 100 rounds suprpessed before failures would start.

Since installing the piston kit, I got hundreds of rounds thru the upper suppressed, and no failures.

I run the upper bone dry.

The majority of the crap does come from the chamber, but my own experience indicates a piston upper can in fact help.

OMMV
must be why the ak`s work so well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:35 pm 

Shooting suppressed from my Osprey piston build with Wolf the internals only gets "dusted" with blowback from the chamber. Nothing compared to what builds up from shooting a D.I. AR suppressed.
This was around 30 rounds of Wolf suppressed after 150 rounds of Yugo surplus unsuppressed. (Still can't bring myself to shoot the corrosive through the suppressor yet.)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:52 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Ugh, apples to apples please.

Someone show me a noveske switchblocked DI after 100 rounds and a piston after 100 rounds. Let's also look at accuracy, cost, parts interchangeability.

Overgassing the s--t out of a DI by not regulating the gas and then claiming that piston is "so" much better is retarded.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:48 pm 

Sounds to me like you just have something personal against gas piston AR15's. I think piston AR's are the way to go when shooting AR's suppressed.
este wrote:
Ugh, apples to apples please.

Someone show me a noveske switchblocked DI after 100 rounds and a piston after 100 rounds. Let's also look at accuracy, cost, parts interchangeability.

Overgassing the s--t out of a DI by not regulating the gas and then claiming that piston is "so" much better is retarded.

Wait. Regulating the gas with the Switchblock (by reducing the gas port diameter restricting gas flow into the BCG) is "better" than doing the same thing with an external gas piston system (by venting excess gas into the atmosphere)?

What is so great about regulating gas in a D.I.? Same gas gets piped directly into the bolt. It gets just as dirty as unregulated gas. At least with the piston, it isn't baked on the bolt.

Pistons may affect follow-up shots if any, but how does it affect accuracy? And before you start on barrel harmonics, the Osprey system uses the standard FSB and has no anchored contact with the barrel to the receiver.

Parts interchangeability is about as retarded as asking what other company besides Noveske makes parts for the Switchblock.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:03 pm 
Silent But Deadly

LA_357SIG wrote:
Sounds to me like you just have something personal against gas piston AR15's. I think piston AR's are the way to go when shooting AR's suppressed.
Wait. Regulating the gas (by venting excess gas into the atmosphere) with the Switchblock is "better" than doing the same thing with an external gas piston system?
What is so great about regulating gas in a D.I.? Same gas gets piped directly into the bolt. It gets just as dirty as unregulated gas. At least with the piston, it isn't baked on the bolt.
Pistons may affect follow-up shots if any, but how does it affect accuracy? And before you start on barrel harmonics, the Osprey system uses the standard FSB and has no anchored contact with the barrel to the receiver.
Parts interchangeability is about as retarded as asking what other company besides Noveske makes parts for the Switchblock.

That's OK. Sounds to me like you're trying to justify a small company's piston retrofit as a replacement for a military proven design. I have shot both piston AR and DI suppressed with the same barrel lengths and suppressors, I can't say one was any better really.

My point is that no, DI isn't perfect. But if you have a gun that runs unsuppressed and put a can on it, it's now way over gassed. Whether you limit the gas by means of a switch block, smaller port, or other adjustment method, you need to look at the ideal set ups if you are going to compare. Comparing an overgassed DI to overgassed piston will at least initially favor piston, it's the long term I am interested in. Ideally, I would prefer a properly gassed DI to any piston any day, if I didn't have a properly gassed DI I would consider Piston.

Your comments on the switchblock don't make any sense to me. What is going to happen to the gas block to make it need parts? It's a pretty low maintenance part, under almost no real stress. What about if your op rod, carrier, piston or piston chamber break? Can you get a spare part from any other AR out there? I think commonality is a large issue when looking at moving parts that can actually fail. Worst case if a switchblock were to fail, any gas block could replace it.

Piston has a LOT of faults from carrier tilt, non-common parts, a million competing proprietary designs, louder, less accurate, more parts to fail, but yes, it IS cleaner in the receiver (although not in the chamber or gas block). Funny that, I haven't cleaned my AR in 2000 rounds or so, no problems so far and it's a wylde chamber. I should clean it more often I guess, but I don't see the need yet.

Feel free to run your Osprey piston set up, it looks decent, and I hope if it ever breaks the parts are readily available. I'm going to run DI because that's how the gun was designed and it seems to work fine for me. If I was going to run a piston system I am certain it would be in a complete system that was designed for it (HK, LWRC, POF, etc). I would also choose a system that was set up to have a suppressed setting. But to each his own.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:00 pm 
Silent Operator

The W.A.R. upper will be out the first of the year. It’s not an adjustable gas block but an adjustable upper receiver for the suppressed direct impingement AR15/M4 rifle.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:13 pm 
Silent But Deadly

I have both, The Osprey comes with a bolt carrier that no tilts (I've had zero tilt)

With Osprey, easier to clean rifle (just wipe bolt face) (oval piston = low maintenance and no need cleaning for 1000's of rounds), no effect accuracy. Can be put back to DI any time in minutes. The osprey is ported in a special way for timing and is soft to shoot depending on barrels port (Brand of barrel) Spikes barrels PERFECTION with osprey Barely cycles weak Tula/wolf (But does) Yet soft shooting with hot rounds.

Is it better? Hard to say, I like both (own 3 good DI's also) but like cleaning the Osprey rifle better! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:48 am 

rebok87 wrote:
The W.A.R. upper will be out the first of the year. It’s not an adjustable gas block but an adjustable upper receiver for the suppressed direct impingement AR15/M4 rifle.

I have no interest in the piston system for me personally.

This on the other hand sounds different. More information please.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:37 pm 
Silent But Deadly

fireguyty wrote:
rebok87 wrote:

I have no interest in the piston system for me personally.

This on the other hand sounds different. More information please.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/34515 ... __tm_.html