SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First time suppressor - Waiting time???
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:01 pm 

Hey guys,

Placed an order on a YHM Wraith and will be starting paperwork tomorrow. I am going the trust route and this is my first NFA item. Are the wait times significantly longer for first-time buyers? I have a 6-month waiting window until I have to PCS to an out-of-state base (Oct 1). Should I just go ahead and cancel the order or risk the wait?

Post subject: Re: First time suppressor - Waiting time???
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:20 pm 
Elite Member

Same time for 1st time versus later. 6mos should be plenty if the can is in stock. If your dealer is having to order it from YHM that adds another Form 3 to the mix which can extend your wait up to 2 months.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:26 pm 

Cool. The can is the last one in stock in the store so hopefully I won't have problems.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:33 pm 
Elite Member

You should be OK.. BUT with WA state causing a traffic jam with the gobs of new Form 4s I can't promise it won't go over 6 months. But that is out of the normal turnaround.

But 3 months was the average, I hear it is now 4-4.5 months and tops at 5 unless there is a problem

If you expect 4 months from the date they CASH your check you should be in the ball park.

I hope you used your name for the trust. That will help. Using the mickey mouse revocable living trust if you are not Mickey may slow it down.

My advise is mail it certified mail and do it yourself .. save the stub.. If you write the check from an account you can check online to see when it clears it makes it easy to see when to start the clock. My papers were sent in 8 days ago and the check has not been presented to my bank yet. My last one took 15 days to be cashed.

Mail + 2 weeks till cashed + 16 weeks pending time + 1 week back to you = 4 months 3 weeks for your approval papers in your hand.

If it's faster you will be surprised.. If you expect it to be approved and in hand 3 months from when you mailed it you will only be setting yourself up for disappointment when 4 months go by and still nothing.

As much as I love the fact WA now can use silencers in state I has put a log jam in the turnaround time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:30 pm 

A couple suggestions...

First, visit http://www.nfatracker.com, sign up, and enter your dates as they occur. This helps everybody track how long the process is taking.

Second, once you know your check has been cashed, try my NFA Wait Time Calculator at http://www.RandomInfo.net/NFA/NfaWait.php. It works by fitting statistical models to the data people enter at nfatracker, but it's easy enough to use. Specify "Form 4", "Trust", your "check cashed" date, etc, and it'll tell you where you stand relative to the typical wait time and the probability that you'll get your stamp in upcoming months, month-by-month.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:13 pm 
Silent But Deadly

I just picked up mine today (AAC TiRant 45) and the transfer went 2 1/2 months on a trust. Of course this is 100% dependant on how your examiner feels and if they are working hard that particular day. :lol:

Normally 3-4 months is the norm on how things are.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:39 pm 

JohnInNH wrote:
... with WA state causing a traffic jam with the gobs of new Form 4s ...

When did that start?

The ATF cashed my check for a form 4 on March 8th.

I would be nice to have the can at the beginning of June, but it looks like that will be pushing it.

Quote:
10% Of similar applicants would have their stamp by now.
But, statistically speaking, you shouldn't have expected to get your stamp yet.
Statistically speaking, you're having bad luck with this application.

Looking Forward
We think your % chances of receiving the stamp in current/future months are: