SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: muzzle coupling
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:14 pm 
Silent But Deadly

http://www.muzzlecouplings.com/muzzle_couplings.htm

do these work or are they a waste of time and has anybody ever tried one of these on the ruger 10/22 and 22 mk2 pistol?

thanks for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:43 pm 
Silent Operator

I would not trust anything but a threaded barrel turned on live centers! But thats just me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:07 pm 
Silent But Deadly

IIRC... that's Dennis A. Quackenbush in Missouri.

He specializes in high powered airguns & custom machine parts.

One of the title 2s around here had one of his couplings & the fit & finish was actually quite excellent; no baffle strikes or other issues with alignment were exhibited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:10 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Location: Western MA, Greenville SC, High Point NC, Albuquerque NM
http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/

He's a good guy. I have a couple different ones...I have one on a crosman in 9mm...it works good.

stymie wrote:
IIRC... that's Dennis A. Quackenbush in Missouri.

He specializes in high powered airguns & custom machine parts.

One of the title 2s around here had one of his couplings & the fit & finish was actually quite excellent; no baffle strikes or other issues with alignment were exhibited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

I have one of his .308 air rifles. It has enough power to hunt medium sized game with, up to deer and maybe moose in a survival situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:49 pm 
Silent But Deadly

sounds like a stand up guy...........but.............................do those couplings work well enuff to trust my 400 buck can on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:57 pm 
Site Admin

They might but seem kinda lame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:07 pm 
Silent But Deadly

I suppose that it might be useful if you wanted to maintain the weapon's original configuration without screaming: "MUZZLE THREADS" along with any connotations that go with that phrase.

I've seen some thread protectors that are carefully machined to literally disguise the fact that the pistol is setup for a silencer. The factory profile is seamlessly blended in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:01 am 
Silent But Deadly

We use this muzzle thread adapter and it works very well. It is a bit more sophistocated than the one in the first link but I'd imagine that would work just as well.

There is a lot to be said for being able to snap a can on and off a pistol as quickly as that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:38 pm 
Silent But Deadly

I've been buying couplers from him for years along with muzzle weights, etc. and never had a problem.

p.s. never met him and don't have a vested interest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:11 pm 
Silent But Deadly

i do have to say this is all very tempting, i do like the idea of a muzzle coupler as i may have to one day move back to california and would at least like to keep some of my guns heh, a threaded barrel is a no no in the great state of communism but i really dont want to tear up my suppressor, either................has anybody actually used a couple on a suppressor with unfavorable results i.e. baffle strikes etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:56 pm 
Silent But Deadly

I guess I should have elaborated on my above post, the answer is yes, I have used them with cans also and never had a problem and his prices are reasonable.
The are Maxim designed or copied couplers, he will tell you that himself.
One way to check, which I have done is to mount the coupler, put the can on, remove the barrel from the rifle or pistol and look down the bore. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:51 am 
Site Admin

Is that gonna scratch the finish?

Post subject: Scratches
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:00 am 
Silent But Deadly

Its not a problem, I've never scratched a barrel with them yet.
But when I first tried them a couple of few years back I was concerned about alignment myself, I had ordered couplers for my 10/22, 77/22 and Ruger Mk II.
Its easy to check on the 77/22, remove bolt, for the MkII, same thing, for the 10/22 its easy to remove the barrel if you see a perfectly round hole with the can on your all right, if you see an oval you know your going to get baffle strikes!
I also have his press on type for a Browning take down .22, the press on type comes with ss shims.
I could have used the type that clamped onto the front sight but I wanted to keep the profile low and also did not want to screwcut the barrel, used with a slim line coaxal can it presents a nice slim smooth outline.
I also use the press on type on a Rossi gallery rifle.
Amother use for the press on type is air rifles, I have a B-50 which was quite loud, I measured the diameter and sent in an order to DAQ and a couple of weeks later I recieved it and now can shoot the B-50 indoors on a rainy day.
But as far as scratching anything goes I would have to ask, how careful are you?

Post subject: Outside machining.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:40 am 
Silent Operator

Yeah but he won't ship outside the US and only uses Snail mail,
anyone know of folks that ship outside the US for couplings and have email?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:52 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Temporary Linque: http://www.subguns.com/boards/mgmsg.cgi?read=490696

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:50 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Quote:
anyone know of folks that ship outside the US for couplings and have email?

Try http://www.canadiantactical.ca for couplings for the Ruger MK2, Browning Buckmark, Browning Camper and S&W A22.

One comment I'd make about the suitability of a coupling vs a threaded barrel is that it is possible to have a barrel threaded with enough runout to cause baffle strikes so threading is not infallible. All it takes is a crappy gunsmith and/or a cheap gun owner.

Yes the couplings have limitations but so does every other solution. You just have to be aware of the pitfalls.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:45 am 
Silent Operator

Thanks Guys,

Will contact them although I am thinking for $60 locally here I'll just get them threaded properly here.

Johnson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:05 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Couplings seem to get some bad press. I personnally don't have nor have ever used one. I do have an old Maxim 22 suppressor ad. It had a "niple" that attached to the muzzle of the gun. The suppressor attached to the "niple". It seems kind of like the same idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:13 pm 

Hi!
As someone before me I would also like to get an adapter/coupling for a 10/22 with a standard barrel. As previously mentioned this guy has what one wants http://www.muzzlecouplings.com/muzzle_couplings.htm

The problem is that I live in Sweden and he does not ship overseas. There is no need for a permit or anything to own one so there is no problem to export. All I need is to find someone whoe sends overseas!

Do you think that this service would work with the above mentioned person?

Thanks
Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:02 pm 
Silent But Deadly

I hate to bring up an old thread but I didn't want to get hazed for starting a new thread without using the search function. I just ordered a coupling for my Mark II I will post field report and pics ASAP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:51 pm 
Industry Professional

One thing to remember with the couplings is that they were designed in the days when .22 cans had a whopping great hole though the middle. Adapters were very popular back in the maxim suppressor days.
As an example a Maxim 1910 has a .30" hole through the middle.

I don't see any problem with using them as long as the alignment is check.
there's lots of Rugers and Buckmarks out there where the bore is not anywhere near to being concentric to the outside of the barrel, as long as you're mindful of that it shouldn't be a drama

22115 NW Imbrie Drive #181
Hillsboro OR 97124
PH: (503)690-8000
Web: www.tornado-technologies.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:30 pm 
Silent But Deadly

I have one from DAQ and have used it for the past 6 years on one of my 10/22's. Perfectly adequate, no scratches on the barrel. Works great. Was an easy way to keep the iron sights before finding someone to put the front one back on. Works great on the wife's 10/22 youth model which only has a 16" barrel from the factroy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:21 pm 
Silent But Deadly

The Europeans have been using muzzle couplings for decades. I wish I could find someone to make some for my tubular magazine .22 rifles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:45 pm 
Silent But Deadly

chingon wrote:
The Europeans have been using muzzle couplings for decades. I wish I could find someone to make some for my tubular magazine .22 rifles

What gun(s)
I have seen parker hales on tubular magazine .22 rifles, the can is very thin
so the tube can get under the can ( a browning pumpgun)

When you detach the tube mag how close are you to the barrel ??