SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ss Sparrow vs Kodiak?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:28 pm 

Hello all

I am about to buy my first suppressor, mainly for 22, but like the 22 Hornet rating of the ss Sparrow and the Kodiak. I know the Spectre and Element seem to be the top two 22 suppressors mentioned, but for 22 use would I be dissappointed if I chose the ss Sparrow or Kodiak over the Spectre or Element? Sparrow looks easiest to clean.
I am looking for:
Low first shot pop
easy to clean
low blowback

For 22 it l,ooks like Kodiak/TL, Sparrow, Prodigy are 1 piece baffle assemblies, and Spectre and Element are stacked "spacers".
Does one design work better over another?

Any others rated up to 22 Hornet?

Thanks all

Eric

Post subject: Re: ss Sparrow vs Kodiak?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:59 pm 
Industry Professional

zeeew wrote:
Hello all

I am about to buy my first suppressor, mainly for 22, but like the 22 Hornet rating of the ss Sparrow and the Kodiak. I know the Spectre and Element seem to be the top two 22 suppressors mentioned, but for 22 use would I be dissappointed if I chose the ss Sparrow or Kodiak over the Spectre or Element? Sparrow looks easiest to clean.
I am looking for:
Low first shot pop
easy to clean
low blowback

For 22 it l,ooks like Kodiak/TL, Sparrow, Prodigy are 1 piece baffle assemblies, and Spectre and Element are stacked "spacers".
Does one design work better over another?

Any others rated up to 22 Hornet?

Thanks all

Eric

Sparrow is easy to clean (one piece core), It also has the highest first round pop of the cans you mentioned.

The ELEMENT, Spectre and Kodiak are all great choices too.

The one-piece monocore designs are simpler to takeapart and clean, but their drawback is typically high first round pop.

The K-Baffle like the ELEMENT (or in the spectre, Omega Baffles) typically are overall a little quieter, have less first round pop, and are less likely to affect accuracy. Their main drawback is that you take the apart and have to brush off each baffle individually.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:43 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Hey Jason,

I thought that you guys was going to up the rating on the Element to include the Hornet? Did you guys have to set this aside due to other things? Or did I just plain hallucinate the whole event? :)

I think it would sound really good on the hornet since it is a high pressure design and all.

Dave

Edit to add: We have metered the Kodiak at the low to mid 130's with out of the box ammo on the Hornet. It tamed this round down well for it's size. It averages about 133.5 on our meter with an OEM Ruger in 22 Hornet. Hope this data helps.

Dean of "LSU" Liberty Suppressors Underground

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:47 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Didn't even know the Sparrow was Hornet rated? I must have missed that announcement,,,

Happy with my Kodiak for the hornet though,,, :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:48 pm 
Silent But Deadly

coyote223 wrote:
Didn't even know the Sparrow was Hornet rated? I must have missed that announcement,,,

It was just announced pretty recently.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:56 pm 
Silent But Deadly

yamatitan wrote:
coyote223 wrote:

It was just announced pretty recently.

Thanks, just did a search. I'm liking that sparrow more and more. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:06 pm 
Industry Professional

BigDave@SMDW,LLC wrote:
Hey Jason,

I thought that you guys was going to up the rating on the Element to include the Hornet? Did you guys have to set this aside due to other things? Or did I just plain hallucinate the whole event? :)

I think it would sound really good on the hornet since it is a high pressure design and all.

Dave

Edit to add: We have metered the Kodiak at the low to mid 130's with out of the box ammo on the Hornet. It tamed this round down well for it's size. It averages about 133.5 on our meter with an OEM Ruger in 22 Hornet. Hope this data helps.

Hey Dave,
I don't know the status of the testing. It sounds great with .22Mag, i assume it would with hornet as well

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:21 pm 
Silent But Deadly

look at the baffle designs of the sparrow and kodiak :| Id go with the kodiak plus liberty has top notch customer service for can modification etc...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=69949

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=69434
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69611

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:34 pm 
Elite Member

Blowback is the deciding factor.

The SS Sparrow is HOT and so it the Kodiak.

I have a SS Sparrow on order, but realize I should have got a Kodiak also.

Maybe the Sparrow also is a lower blowback design, but I KNOW the Kodiak will run on a 10/22 forever w/o messing up the mags. Not sure the SS Sparrow can do that.

Someday someone will compare the 2. Which ever wins that is the winner.

Granted the SS Sparrow has the clamshell design.. THAT is an advantage. But if it has blowback enough to gum up your host what's the point?

If Dave's Kodiak had a clamshell in addition to it's current benefits it would have it all.

Since we do not have any way to definitively measure blowback all we can do is test 2 silencers and see which one has less. That should be easy to figure out in side by side testing. Just shoot in a host till you start to get FTF from fouling buildup. Also looking at you mags can show how much is accumulating on each and how fast or slow.

I would LOVE to test the SS Sparrow and a Kodiak TL side by side.

Feature set seems to go to the Sparrow but Blowback reduction *apparently* goes to the Kodiak... No head to head testing by anyone yet between these 2 top performers.

Time to put my $ where my mouth is..

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:26 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Isnt the Kodiak a super silo of a .22 can? Like 6.5"? At that length it should perform well, I'd expect . Just as the Tirant 45 should suppress well at near 9" :shock: . If you dont mind long silencers then go for it :? I honestly dont see a better all around 22 can than the little Sparrow. If the Element was dippable and $100 cheaper it would be a great choice too. Spectre isnt any quieter than Sparrow on pistols and is 2oz heavier and a whole inch longer than Sparrow. Spectre also performs poorly on rifle hosts, generally. I understand Germtech will do a special order s/s Alpine by request. Thats a good unit I hear. As for blowback I suspect that can be diminished more so due to greater volume. There again, do you want a super long can with less blowback or a nice short compact suppressor equally quiet but with more blowback? I prefer quiet-smaller-shorter cans. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:56 pm 
Silent But Deadly

True that extra 1.5 inches really cuts into my back flip Ninja rolls. (Hits the ground while on the host). Damn things are so long I keep catching it on the doorway on the way out of the house. (Your okay if you hold the can straight while going through the door.)

Though I solved the problem on my last Ruger..I just cut the barrel an extra 1.5 inches. :wink: I'm a freaking genius. :shock:

Personally I prefer the quietest, cleanest with no FRP. 8)

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:08 pm 
Silent But Deadly

chondro, I'd take the kodiak too over my old aluminum sparrow, but now its getting a makeover by 1" trimming and s/s internal replacement so I'll take the new sparrow, thank you very much :mrgreen: Of course it doesnt hurt to have them all if the checkbook can handle it :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:31 pm 
Silent But Deadly

I think the kodiak tl is even lighter than the sparrow :oops: extra inch be damned QQ

ps - id take the extra inch over less performance but then again im not tacticool :cry:

Last edited by sukhoi on Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:18 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Here is a video of the SS 22Sparrow with .22 Hornet:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Silencerco? ... RPz_Jjv7-A

SILENCERCO
Social Media Director
kenny@silencerco.com
www.silencerco.com
5511 South 6055 West
West Valley City, UT 84118

(801) 417-5384 o
(801) 417-5002 f

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:20 pm 
Silent But Deadly

suk, I believe your wrong as the super long 6.5" kodiak is a true heavyweight at over 9 ounces :shock: Thats heavier than the Spectre, so you can image a true lead pipe hanging off your pistol :( . The s/s Sparrow is just 6.5 oz or only about 5 oz in upgrade with original aluminum tube cut to 5" and s/s guts. If you like a long & heavy lead pipe on your buckmark or Ruger MK2 then more power to ya :? For comparison the Tactical SOlutions 4" Buckmark Trailite threaded barrel is only 4oz. Now dont get me wrong if I feel the need for another 22 can I'd strongly consider the kodiak, but if a friend asked me if they were to purchase just one can I'd have to be honest and say the s/s sparrow is tops all around. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:05 am 
Silent But Deadly

psp7 wrote:
suk, I believe your wrong as the super long 6.5" kodiak is a true heavyweight at over 9 ounces :shock: Thats heavier than the Spectre, so you can image a true lead pipe hanging off your pistol :( . The s/s Sparrow is just 6.5 oz or only about 5 oz in upgrade with original aluminum tube cut to 5" and s/s guts. If you like a long & heavy lead pipe on your buckmark or Ruger MK2 then more power to ya :? For comparison the Tactical SOlutions 4" Buckmark Trailite threaded barrel is only 4oz. Now dont get me wrong if I feel the need for another 22 can I'd strongly consider the kodiak, but if a friend asked me if they were to purchase just one can I'd have to be honest and say the s/s sparrow is tops all around. :wink:

A lead pipe? You have to admit that's a little dramatic.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:19 am 
Silent But Deadly

To point out..Liberty lists all their cans heavier than they really are..Torch lists at 24.5 and is 22..Kodiak lists at 9 and is 8.1 or 8.2. Though the TL is my cup of tea..

He's using a postal scale..Works out great for the post office and not so much for his numbers.. :lol: I said something to him along time ago and he said he was gonna double check things..Guess he just figures its safe to stay on the high side..He does the same with his db numbers..he only puts up the high ones..You don't hear about the days the TL meters 111 on the Ruger Mark 2 :shock: .

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:33 am 
Silent But Deadly

psp7 wrote:
If you like a long & heavy lead pipe on your buckmark or Ruger MK2 then more power to ya :?

I'd like to make an accusation. It was col. mustard, in the library, with a kodiak. :lol:

Seriously, the length and weight really isn't all that bad. :?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:55 am 
Silent But Deadly

On Liberty website, where I got my information, it has the kodiak TL at 6.1 oz whereas the regular kodiak is 9.1 oz...i just forgot to put the TL at the end of my original post :lol: whoops. never wrong, just mistaken. now comparing the TL to the sparrow is what I intended thus no more lead pipe :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:13 am 
Silent But Deadly

sukhoi wrote:
On Liberty website, where I got my information, it has the kodiak TL at 6.1 oz whereas the regular kodiak is 9.1 oz...i just forgot to put the TL at the end of my original post :lol: whoops. never wrong, just mistaken. now comparing the TL to the sparrow is what I intended thus no more lead pipe :D

True but the OP wanted something rated for the 22 Hornet, which would exclude the TL.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:05 pm 
Silent But Deadly

bigbigpig wrote:
True but the OP wanted something rated for the 22 Hornet, which would exclude the TL.

True but the OP also stated mainly for .22 and was just wondering about hornet which he said ""For 22 it looks like Kodiak/TL". Which for him, does not exclude the TL, and sounds like he is just considering to dabble in hornet and wants to compare hornet rated vs not..(likes the feature) which the kodiak would suffice both needs. Also what you quoted was not towards the OP but for psp7 and further clarification. but for sole use of .22 hornet then yes no mas TL.

Good day sir.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:12 pm 
Elite Member

The Kodiak is a bore evacuator not a silencer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:19 pm 
Silent Operator

Too be honest buy what your nearest dealer has in stock. Whether it be a Silencerco Sparrow, Liberty Kodiak, SWR Spectre, AAC Element or Gemtech Alpine(in that order of progression).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:08 am 
Elite Member

Well if they have a MITE in stock I would NOT get it. .... Or an old sealed Gemtech. Many dealers are sitting on them and are trying to flush them.

If you want it faster than take what's in stock.. But I believe in getting what you really want. Just make sure you are sure it's what you want. Try to test them if at all possible. If you have a friend with one check it out and see how it is to clean too.

Don't get a silencer that has not been out in production yet. You might get stuck with a less then perfect design.

I have taken a risk by ordering a SS Sparrow. But it's really not a new design. It's an improved design or so I keep telling myself.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:18 am 
Silent Operator

jon of new hampster, hows the s/s sparrow not a new design? Did AAC originate it like the Osprey being a "complicated copy of the Blackbox" :roll: ? The sparrow IS an ORIGINAL. I say buy one of the best in stock, starting with the Sparrow 8) .