SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Did/Does AAC really make insert/fake cans?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:12 pm 

So I was browsing eBay like I always do and I found this auction..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=140499862403&si=5aMf05mbrsWr69LBGOfj8wUqHSU%253D&viewitem=

It's for a supposed INERT AAC M42000 silencer. Appears to be completly solid, but supposed to be made by AAC and not fake.

Anyone have any clue or idea about this? Are these out there?

Post subject: Re: Did/Does AAC really make insert/fake cans?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:42 pm 

I saw something like this at a gun show in jacksonville earlier this year, it was a rifle whith what looked like an aac can on it but the seller said that it was just a fake can, had there markings on it and everthing....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:43 pm 
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Someone at AAC will chime in eventually, but I believe this situation is this: AAC does not make fake suppressors, but they might license someone else to make airsoft replicas.

I don't believe AAC makes or licenses any 'fake' suppressors that are advertised as safe for use on real firearms. I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

AAC makes inert suppressors for the Shot Show.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:03 pm 
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Well, I guess I was wrong :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:41 pm 
Silent But Deadly

There used to be a licensed version of the old SCAR-SD suppressor for airsoft. There was an unlicensed version of the SCAR-SD made by G&G airsoft and it mounts to real mounts. There is now a company making a licensed M4-2K for airsoft use under the Magpul PTS name, but the acme threads seem totally different and/or out of spec AND no one in the US can get one as far as I know. The airsoft 51T mounts are available, but not the cans. You could try ordering one from overseas but they either might not ship it to you and/or you might risk customs seizing it. A lot of mock suppressors from overseas come with foam installed for deadening the report of an airsoft rifle, and airsoft retailers would rather not get buttfucked by the ATF for having potentially unregistered suppressors.

Edit: $600 for an inert can? Seriously? Some people have more money than sense.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:20 pm 
Silent But Deadly

the airsoft ones are advertised at like $60-80

they are out there

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:42 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Am I reading that correctly? Did someone pay 600 dollars for a fake can? Well on the bright side the mount looks like its real.. :lol:

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:08 pm 
Senior Silent Operator

And another 20 bucks to ship it! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:11 pm 
Silent But Deadly

I`ve got a 2008 Guns &Ammo magazine with a article about Armalite SASS. It has a faux can, labled the S3R 7.62mm, made by AAC.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:53 pm 

Well, this is not what appears to be an "airsoft" can...but possibly a shot show or demo inert can as far as I can figure.

I know the seller - and he gets sets of Seal and SF gear, and in a lot was this item.

And as far as someone paying $600 for a "fake" can...don't forget some of these guys live in countries where they can only own the fake stuff...so even a "inert" can by the REAL company is worth alot of money to some people.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:11 am 
Senior Silent Operator

AAC has inert cans listed in the new catalog.

Selectedmarksman Have you seen CSO episode 1 ?

.IGES CAD files
http://www.firearmfiles.com/andromeda.php?q=f&f=%2Ffiles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:05 am 
Silent But Deadly

I *HIGHLY* doubt that AAC built that for two reasons.

1. It just dosen't look right.

2. M4 2000's mount 51T. The photo has an 18T mount and is calling it an "MS 2000"

Even if AAC were to make something fake, I think it could have been made better than that one.

And besides, fake cans are for strippers. Just like the Tshirts that I sell have written on the back!

NFA Sales & Transfers, Silencerco Stocking Distributor, AAC, SigSauer, Gemtech, Rock River Arms Stocking Dealer
sales@goingquiet.com

Last edited by GoingQuiet on Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:06 am 

here is an add that has a rifle for sale with one of these things on it...

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/semi4 ... ead=238201

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:20 am 
Site Admin

I can't tell if it was made by AAC or if it is a licensed Airsoft.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:37 am 
Industry Professional

That fake can in the first post could very well be made by us.

That is what the early early SCAR-SD's looked like (and that's what it is marked).
We've made them for various uses over the years, and there have been a handful of unlicensed ripoffs too.

We are currently making high-quality dummy cans for our dealers to use/display.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:14 am 

I'm desperately trying to find some fake/inert can(s) that can be attached to an AAC 51T flash hider. The cans need to be able to be fired through as well. Ideally, it would be an AAC look-a-like M4-2000, but beggars can't be....

Here is what I know:

1. AAC has periodically produced dummy cans themselves. In fact, in their 2011 catalog they have a M4-2000 fake can listed (called M4-2000 dummy). The problem is they no longer make it.

2. Magpul PTS (hong kong) has licensed the M4-2000 to make as a fake can for airsoft. I will say, they did a fantastic job and their fake cans attach to a fake AAC 51T Flash hider that is included with the purchase (with 14mm CCW in airsoft speak, or 14x1 LH in the real world0. The fake hider is the same weight and nearly identical dimensions to my real 51Ts, too bad I don't have an AK47 with 14x1LH threads or I'd try it. BUT I'm way too scared to try the fake M4-2000 silencer attached to one of my 51Ts though, especially after the very stern warnings I've received from Magpul PTS plus the fact that it isn't just a solid piece of metal like one of those fake shrouds, but actually has some bizarre internal parts. Where is that damn remote firing station when you need one?

3. With the launch of the DPMS 300 Blackout rifle in the near future, one of the models supposedly will have a dummy AAC can on it, presumably attached to a real AAC flash hider.

4. There have been a few fake fake cans here and there, as is a likely explanation for the original can identified by the OP.

So, does anyone have any ideas on where I can find an inert/dummy can that can attach to an AAC 51T flash hider, and can actually be fired through? Given the nature of the attachment mechanism used by AAC with the 51T/M4-2000, I'm guessing the fake can would have to be a M4-2000 copy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:20 am 
Silent But Deadly

ZPAT,
" ...I'm desperately trying to find some fake/inert can(s) that can be attached to an AAC 51T flash hider...."

Being a simple minded Southern boy I have to ask why?
And especially the "desperation."

Or is this query as fake as the can you seek.

Just curious.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:15 pm 
Silent But Deadly

zpat wrote:
I'm desperately trying to find some fake/inert can(s) that can be attached to an AAC 51T flash hider. The cans need to be able to be fired through as well. Ideally, it would be an AAC look-a-like M4-2000, but beggars can't be....

Here is what I know:

1. AAC has periodically produced dummy cans themselves. In fact, in their 2011 catalog they have a M4-2000 fake can listed (called M4-2000 dummy). The problem is they no longer make it.

2. Magpul PTS (hong kong) has licensed the M4-2000 to make as a fake can for airsoft. I will say, they did a fantastic job and their fake cans attach to a fake AAC 51T Flash hider that is included with the purchase (with 14mm CCW in airsoft speak, or 14x1 LH in the real world0. The fake hider is the same weight and nearly identical dimensions to my real 51Ts, too bad I don't have an AK47 with 14x1LH threads or I'd try it. BUT I'm way too scared to try the fake M4-2000 silencer attached to one of my 51Ts though, especially after the very stern warnings I've received from Magpul PTS plus the fact that it isn't just a solid piece of metal like one of those fake shrouds, but actually has some bizarre internal parts. Where is that damn remote firing station when you need one?

3. With the launch of the DPMS 300 Blackout rifle in the near future, one of the models supposedly will have a dummy AAC can on it, presumably attached to a real AAC flash hider.

4. There have been a few fake fake cans here and there, as is a likely explanation for the original can identified by the OP.

So, does anyone have any ideas on where I can find an inert/dummy can that can attach to an AAC 51T flash hider, and can actually be fired through? Given the nature of the attachment mechanism used by AAC with the 51T/M4-2000, I'm guessing the fake can would have to be a M4-2000 copy.

AAC makes dummies of all the cans for trade shows and dealers, but they are not for sale. They are aluminum and are designed so that if you make a mistake and shoot through them, it will be OK, but they are in no way meant for shoot through use.

The DPMS dummy can is just a chunk of aluminum that threads onto the 1/2-28 muzzle threads and goes back over the exposed barrel to make it look like an SBR.

Don't even think of firing through the PTS can.

But, like Historian said so eloquently- why?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:37 pm 
Silent But Deadly

You might want to be careful with that PTS can. There are two version of the can, an international version and a US version. The US version isn't suppose to have ANY internals because the ATF classifies working airsoft silencers as real silencers (I used to work for a major airsoft retailer, so that's how I know). But most other countries don't have such limitation and so they make a version that will "suppress" airsoft guns. SOMETIMES you can order the "international" versions from overseas and customs won't catch it. If you plan to put that PTS can on a real rifle just to see if it fits or for photographs TAKE THE INTERNALS OUT NOW. If you can't take the internals out keep that fake can FAR away from any real guns.

Why do I say that? Frankly the ATF couldn't give two shits about airsofters "suppressing" their already pretty quiet toys, so if for some reason the ATF finds out your using a fake can to suppress an airsoft gun they probably won't care. But if they even THINK you have the intention to use that fake can on a real gun and it does suppress the noise even one iota, say hello to pound-you-in-the-ass federal prison.