SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Water vs. wire pulling gel
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:02 pm 
Senior Silent Operator

I know this is old news for everyone else here, but I'm a novice so it's all still brand new to me...

I took my brand new Yankee Hill cobra 2 in 9mm (my first can) out into the woods and fired off a few subsonic rounds. Yes, the silencer worked, but it sounded more like a book being slammed shut loudly, rather than the whisper quiet effects that other people attributed to theirs. I didn't need hearing protection but the shot still could be heard, was still very noticiibly a gunshot, and it still had a noticible echo. I admit I was a little disappointed...

...UNTIL, following the advice of others, I poured a little bit of water into the silencer. HOLY MOTHER OF RONALD MCDONALD what a difference! My 9mm sounded no louder than a pellet gun with a very subdued SNAP. I could fire this in one room and it wouldn't be heard in the next room. My opinions of Yankee Hill has now turned 180 and instead of simply having an interesting toy I've now officially caught "the bug". Now then...

It's clear that Yankee Hill...if not most silencers...require a little more boost to get optimum performance out of them. Water obviously works nicely, but it's impractical since I can't keep dunking the silencer in a glass of water every few shots. Has anyone actually used wire pulling gel, and if so, does it give equivalent results in sound muffling? Is there somethign better out there than either water or wire pulling gel, 'cause although water is tedious, at least it evaporates into nothing, while I'd imagine the cleanup of gel residue would be ghastly.

You fine folks know more about this than I do so you're the people I need to ask to help me squeeze all the fun surprises out of my can. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Water vs. wire pulling gel
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:13 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Goto Home Depot/Lowes and find the Ideal clear guide wire pull gel. Its like $5 for a quart. It lasts forever.

Make sure the gel is CLEAR and not yellow, the yellow or non clear gels are not water based and will gunk the suppressor wilth a waxy mess.

It works just as good as water and you can put 5cc's in your can, leave it for a week and then shoot it and it suppresses great. I think the gel gives it a duller tone or maybe its just me. You have the added benefit of a take apart can so have fun! 8)

https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Email me for prices on Firearms/Suppressors
NFAReview@gunshinearmory.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:51 pm 
Elite Member

jell can have it's problems... It can cause a baffle strike, H2O can't.

If the goop is in the baffles it's fine but if it gets in the bullet path you are in trouble. How do you know if a glop did not slide off the baffle wall and cover the hole or 1/2 of it?

Once it's in there and you shoot it, the jell is dispersed well and is not a problem, but if you charge it and even if you slap it on you hand as you rotate it (to get the media against the tube to prevent a blockage) a larger blop of the jell might move during the time it's charged and when you fire it becoming a problem.

I prefer H20 for a few reasons. When it drys it leaves no other crud to mix with the fouling. If you rinse (re-dip it) in your h2o bottle it will remove a lot of fouling. Just don't shoot till it's dry.

I know there are times the jell is better just make sure you take steps to minimize it from blocking the bullet path. Slapping it against your hand forcing the jell to the tube and away from the bullet path will be adequate for a while or till you shoot it once. THAT will spread it all over the inside and then you are fine.

LOOK in the silencer after you charge it to make sure the path is clear.

Just an FYI. I am not saying I would not use the clear jell. Just be cognizant of the issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:37 pm 
Silencertalk Goon Squad

I agree with John.

IMHO......water if u are just screwing around at the range. Gel is nice if you plan to use a can at the bedside lets say, and u want abolute suppression.

FWIW.......both seem to last about 6 shots before the db meter starts to go back to non-medium levels anayway........

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:53 pm 
Elite Member

FWIW, I found gel louder than plain old water. Plus, with water, as John said, it is less junk left in the can.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:22 am 
Senior Silent Operator

When you're in the woods, the best Ablative is Fresh Urine. It's readily available and gives a slight edge over plain water........but it will make you stink.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:19 am 
Silent But Deadly

:lol:

https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Email me for prices on Firearms/Suppressors
NFAReview@gunshinearmory.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:28 pm 
Senior Silent Operator

GlockBuyer wrote:
When you're in the woods, the best Ablative is Fresh Urine. It's readily available and gives a slight edge over plain water........but it will make you stink.

Oh good now your gonna have people running around pissing in their cans!! :lol: :lol:

Oh i can see the you tube videos now :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:54 pm 
Silent Operator

So lets say you have it stored under the bed with gel. The gun is laying on its side so all the gel pools to that side of the can. I assume that when you pull it out when you hear one of your windows getting broken, that first you should swing and slap the can against your hand in order to knock all the gel towards maybe the bottom of the can? Or is that not necessary as long as its not on the top of the can dripping towards the bottom? What about the Osprey design? I assume the eccentric design will tend to hold all the gel below the path of the bullet?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:14 pm 
Senior Silent Operator

The point of the Osprey is to not need coolant at all. This is why I'm getting an Osprey 40 to replace my old Cobra 40.

However, I suppose a gelled Osprey could be unscrewed a quarter turn while the host weapon is on its side and you could tighten it before use, thereby managing the gel pool.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:29 pm 
Elite Member

chase wrote:
The point of the Osprey is to not need coolant at all. This is why I'm getting an Osprey 40 to replace my old Cobra 40.

However, I suppose a gelled Osprey could be unscrewed a quarter turn while the host weapon is on its side and you could tighten it before use, thereby managing the gel pool.

Just dip it in the glass of water on your night stand with your dentures in it. Problem solved. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:58 pm 
Silent But Deadly

With the Cobra I found the best way with water is to just add it to the blast baffle..So just a gob of gel on one side would be just as good for long term storage..Dunking the can makes it sound okay but not nearly as good as when you add it to the blast baffle..My Mulitmount with oil (they say no to water) makes no difference what so ever for sound..It just smokes..

The odd thing about the Cobras wet is reapeatability..sometimes it can be hollywood quiet and other times just okay..Tipping the can at about 45 degrees and shooting in 5cc's of water the same way still gets different results..Usually good though..

Here's mine in .45 shooting 9mm through it..I'm shooting .22 next to it for sound comparison..This was the 5th string I did..The one after this was not nearly as good..

I have to get some wire pulling gel..Haven't tried it yet..

Guess part of the point of this is baffle design is going to play a part in which would be the best way to add an ablative..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivg5X92oGv4

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:53 pm 
Silent But Deadly

I personally have seen the effects of both water and gel and it is a remarkable difference than without it. My question is since the gel is water based is there any concern with the can rusting internally? With my m42k I liberally spray with wd40 after use is that the same for centerfire pistol cans which are primarily made with aluminum.

If Guns Kill People, I Can Blame Misspelled Words On My Pencil

WWW.TALLAHASSEEGUNFORUM.COM