SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best subsonic .223 / 5.56
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:51 am 
Silent But Deadly

I want to shoot in the backyard, so looking for some subsonic to work with my combination.

12.7 1:7 twist, spr/m4

the extreme shock was suggested, but it looks like frangible, so not thrilled about that unless someone has experience

also looked at the 63g EBR subsonic load

I do not care about it not cycling, and not super concerned with really tight groups, just don't want to blow a hole in my can.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:08 pm 
Silent But Deadly

You never said so, I'll guess you have an AR.

1:7 is really fast for subsonic. I'm not sure if I buy into "over stabilizing" other than I understand the idea. I should say I doubt it will be a problem from muzzle to the end of your can. After that, who knows?

I don't know, the idea of 63gr subsonic is just silly to me. You may as well get a .22 kit. Besides the MUCH cheaper ammo, at least then you can expect a bit of accuracy and not worry about messing up your the SPR. Does AAC warranty the use of subsonic 223?

If you really want subsonic out of your AR, go whisper with a 7.62 can. 63gr vs 240gr is really no contest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:16 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Mers told me to just check stability, which i will certainly do, just wanted t see if anyone had experience with a similar setup. Neither of that ammo is in stock, so it's a special order, and expensive, was hoping to find if one was better than the other so I don't have to buy both. Thanks and yes it's an AR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:29 pm 
Silent But Deadly

you could buy a cheap reloader and get what you want for the price of the factory S.S., you might find a new hobby too :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:30 pm 
Silent But Deadly

tylermtech wrote:
you could buy a cheap reloader

Or a .22 upper ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:34 pm 
Silent But Deadly

I would go .22 or any Whisper long before I wasted a dime on subsonic 223.

You would need to determine the correct twist and length for it, but there are those 60gr 22lr rounds which if the reach 1050fps would be nearly if not identical in ballistics. Much cheaper too.

As I understand it the problem with most subsonic rounds is that there is a lot of room for powder to flop around in. Making the powder burn random at best, if the powder burning differently every time the poi will be different every time. This is where rounds like the 147gr 9mm, 300 whisper, etc have an advantage is that the case capacity is low, meaning the powder will pack reliably and then burn reliably most times.

Subsonic 223 would have a lot of room for powder to flop around which can be solved with fillers like cream of wheat but I'm not sure if fillers and suppressors mix all that well.

My guess is that you shelled out big for a better .223 suppressor and expected it to be quieter. Or your wife/friends expected that. Am I close ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:59 pm 
Silent But Deadly

rob_s wrote:
tylermtech wrote:
you could buy a cheap reloader

Or a .22 upper ;)

I thought about the spikes uppers, but I want to wait until my 22sparrow is approved as I wouldn't use it until then anyway. Are there some good subsonic loads that are good and fairly easier for a beginner reloader?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:07 pm 
Silent But Deadly

No, I was well aware of what I would be getting in terms of sound reduction. I would like to able to shoot in my backyard until I get my .22 can in hand, but from the responses it's starting to sound like it's not worth it. I am happy with the reduction of the can, and it serves it purpose well ( from my limited experience) I really want a 300 whisper or .338 spectre, or something 9mm suppressed. But that will have a wait a while. Just looking for a quick fix. Thanks for the responses, base on them I will probably pass on the subsonic .223

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:08 pm 
Silent But Deadly

I have never made any, but if you look in the reloading section, I am pretty sure that there are some good loads using Trailboss and heavy bullets.

I really like to reload, sometimes i thinik I enjoy it as much as shooting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:24 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Cheap reloader...... will be proably be cheaper than a dedicated 22 upper....very easy to reload subs. Trailboss and heavy bullets are the way to go. Trailboss solves the need for fillers. Like Tylermtech said it a great hobbie!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:46 pm 
Silent But Deadly

If you load subs in a semi-ar and one doesn't clear the barrel before the next shot, it could cost you a lot more than a .22 upper.

I don't know if subsonic 223 is what I would recommend for a guy new to reloading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:24 pm 
Silent But Deadly

este wrote:
I would go .22 or any Whisper long before I wasted a dime on subsonic 223.

+1

You'd have to bring the round down from about 3,000 fps to about 1,000 fps.

Stabilizing that would be near impossible.

Quote:
As I understand it the problem with most subsonic rounds is that there is a lot of room for powder to flop around in. Making the powder burn random at best,

Subsonic 223 would have a lot of room for powder to flop around which can be solved with fillers like cream of wheat but I'm not sure if fillers and suppressors mix all that well.

As I understand it, from what I've read, the REAL problem with small powder charges in large volume cases is secondary detonation - which can explode the firearm. I'm not sure I agree with the explanations I've read, but then again, I'm not interested in being the crash test dummy for the secondary detonation theory.

Quote:
My guess is that you shelled out big for a better .223 suppressor and expected it to be quieter. Or your wife/friends expected that. Am I close ?

I know I was disappointed with my M4-2K....and so I ended up getting a Trident9 and loading subsonic rounds, and also getting a 22 Mite with subsonic loads.

They ARE Hollyoowd quiet.