SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Suppressed M1 carbine?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:35 am 
Silent But Deadly

I bought an M1 carbine today. Anyone ever suppress one? Results?

Ranb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:52 am 
Silent But Deadly

There are some floating around.

The conventional wisdom is that they do not suppress particularly well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:41 pm 
Silent But Deadly

I thought I had see a couple of posts where someone did an integral and hand loaded SS ammo and was quite happy with it.

Downside is you pay a lot for something that could much cheeper be done with other platforms. If you want one go for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:16 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Well the thing is that I bought the M1 carbine because I always wanted one. It will be shot unsuppressed most of the time since I live in WA. I was thinking of adapting the barrel to fit my large (too large) 308 can.

I took it apart and I did not see any vent ports on the gas system like those present on M-1a's and AK's. I did notice that there was some carbon residue (leakage?) on the top hand guard just in back of the piston. So I am assuming that attaching a silencer will possibly make the operating rod move a bit faster due to increased back pressure, but there should not be increased noise in the action.

I read some bad things about the b-square and Leapers (both chinese made) scope mounts that use the rear sight dovetail. If I put a scope on it, I think I will use a Weaver mount. This does require drilling and taping holes on the left side of the receiver and cutting away the stock a bit.

Ranb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:07 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Do you want to shoot subsonic or normal velocity ammo ?
I once had one
The twist is 1 in 16 ,,very slow :(
160gr flatbase flatnose would NOT stabilize at subsonic speed
So if you want subsonic you need something shorter than that bullet

this would then be a lighter bullet making cycling even harder

but if you could live with it short stroking ,and have to manually cycle the action for each shoot its possible

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:13 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Just supersonic. I have whisper chambered firearms for the subsonic stuff.

Ranb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:09 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Here it is with the 300 whisper can. I still have to get a weaver mount and red dot scope for it though.

I removed the barrel and front sight so I could put it in the lathe. Some very minor metal removal ensured I could thread it fairly straight. I took a few thousands of metal off of the inside of the front sight and tapped it back down the barrel about seven inches. A muzzle brake machined down to the same diameter as my 300 whisper barrel and threaded in place holds it centered.

I do not know what it sounds like or even how it shoots yet. I am still looking for cheap jacketed bullets to load up. The cheapest I can find are $80 for 500 from Graf's.

Ranb