SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SOPMOD mount and M4-2000..Tight fit?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:32 am 
Silent But Deadly

I've noticed that while fitting the silencer to the mount there is some tightness. Best I can tell is that it's the OD of the flash hider entering the blast chamber (prior to engaging the threads). I don't remember it having the same issue with the supplied "phantom" style. Will this tightness work out? Anyone with a similar issue?

I'm mounting the Phantom style on another upper tomorrow, I will verify the difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:58 am 
Silent But Deadly

The SOPMOD flash hider is a dual use flash hider: it was designed to take the M4/SCAR or the KAC silencer. There is a slight variance in diameters between the bearing surfaces of our cans and the KAC can. To achieve a good fit with both silencers, the bearing surface on the SOPMOD is very slightly larger than it is on a standard AAC Phantom. The tightness should work itself out with use. If you run into problems mounting and/or dismonting the can after it's been used a bit, contact Freddy and we'll sort it out for you.

Mike/AAC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:56 am 
Silent But Deadly

Thanks for the reply silentmike.

CLP on the mount helps, but still takes some twisting before getting to the threads. Nothing that keeps it from engaging though. I suspect it will work out with time, as you say.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:50 am 
Silent But Deadly

I've also experienced the tightness. The first time I used the mount with my M4-2000 I put about 300 rounds down range. The tightness wasn't so bad mounting the can, but to take it off I loosened the silencer from the ACME threads and applied a bit of Kroil down the back of the can. It was then easier to remove. Some of this tightness has worked out though.

Mark

Post subject: Re: SOPMOD mount and M4-2000..Tight fit?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:50 am 
Silencertalk Goon Squad

soohwa wrote:
I've noticed that while fitting the silencer to the mount there is some tightness. Best I can tell is that it's the OD of the flash hider entering the blast chamber (prior to engaging the threads). I don't remember it having the same issue with the supplied "phantom" style. Will this tightness work out? Anyone with a similar issue?

I'm mounting the Phantom style on another upper tomorrow, I will verify the difference.

Ive had the same problem with my standard flashider i just make sure to keep it clean of carbon build up so it goes on easier.

my dealer told me that people complained to AAC about loose fitting cans from the older version of the M42k so i guess they tightend up the tolerances but it doesnt need to be that tight Its tighter than a bulls pecker up a penguins butt.lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:51 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Too bad I didn't find this before I got my M4-2000 stuck on my SOPMOD yesterday...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:39 am 
Silencertalk Goon Squad

ColoradoPacker wrote:
Too bad I didn't find this before I got my M4-2000 stuck on my SOPMOD yesterday...

you can say that again,oh I see you did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:33 am 
Silent But Deadly

Wierd,

I replied with my PDA phone and only clicked the submit button once. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:47 pm 
Silent But Deadly

As for the stuck SOPMOD - the M4-2000 would unthread but could not slip off the SOPMOD flash hider. It was soaked all night in SLIP carbon killer and very little debris was in the sediment. Like I said, it unscrews but was still stuck onto the FH. So I soaked it all day in Kroil and still no debris was in the sediment. Bahhhh! Still stuck.

It finally took a wooden vice, lots of packing tape, a pair of vice grips and two men to pull it off. Tried to reinstall M4-2000 onto sopmod and it is too tight to go on now. The standard FH fits fine with no friction or tightness. So, I installed the original AAC FH, and I will call AAC sometime soon to have them look at this FH and see if it is out of spec.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:11 am 
Silencertalk Goon Squad

ColoradoPacker wrote:
Wierd,

I replied with my PDA phone and only clicked the submit button once. :(

I need one of those,I hate being stuck behind a computer all the time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:19 pm 
Silent But Deadly

I got my m4 2000 today and my sopmod mount is now shiny from all of the finish waring off of it, from me giving it 20 or 30 on and offs to try to take the tightness out of it.... still not as good as the standard one but better than it was.... It goes on alot better than it comes off.

BTW love the can First AAC product and not my last.