SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stratus vs Tac65 - not the question you're thinking...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:42 am 
Elite Member

I don't really care which is quieter, from everything I've heard and read they sound about the same. What I want to know is how the Stratus is 3/4" shorter than the Tac65 when both of them use 6 K baffles. Does anyone have both? Is the "K angle" markedly larger on the Stratus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:11 pm 
Silent But Deadly

From the pictures I have seen, the Stratus simply makes better use of the length of the tube. The endcaps have shorter thread engagement and the spacer at the rear of the stack is shorter.

The Tac-65 had too much wasted space on the form of the endcaps and the spacer.(too long)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:19 pm 
Silent But Deadly

I have both. The end caps have shorter threads. The prongs of the endcap tools are 1/8 inch shorter on the stratus than they are of the tac. Also keep in mind that the inside diameter of the stratus is less than the tac. Even though the degree of angle is close or the same, the baffle is naturally shorter because the the K does not extend outward as far due to the limited inside diameter of the tube.

Hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:59 pm 
Elite Member

Good point. Do you agree that they sound about the same?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:11 am 
Silent But Deadly

No sir, I do not. Nor do those around me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:13 am 
Silent But Deadly

GRANDPA07 wrote:
No sir, I do not. Nor do those around me.

which one is louder / sounds better?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:46 am 
Elite Member

I too would like your impression. You're the first I've "met" to say he hears a significant difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:12 pm 
Silent But Deadly

I have not heard of anyone else with my experience either. Ive bit my toung alot because the Stratus gets raving reviews from everyone but me. As a result I tend to believe that my can my be inferior to others for some reason.

I bought the Stratus and tac at the same time. First round pop of the Stratus was excessive and took at least five rounds to graduate it down. On a Buckmark Pistol I could place people to the left, right, behind the house, shed, barn and trees. They could play name that can 100% correctly. When dissasembling for cleaning I noted that the baffles were not correctly staggered per manufacturer. Secondly there is one baffle with a 1/8 inch hole near the rim. According to the manufacturer this should be number four from the muzzle but was number two. I cleaned the can and reassembled correctly several times. Baffle spin is terrible on this can when threading the encaps. It is now better than it was but is no match for the tac 65. While the Tac has a deeper more pleasing tone, the Stratus is sharp and snappy. On a pistol others can still play name that can, on a rifle its not quite so obvious. The first round pop is still significantly louder. It should be noted that the only ammo I use is the German made Wolf MT(the eqivelant of Lapua standard match) It is subsonic ammo rated at 1035 fps. I do not contest anyone elses reviews but assume that for some reason my can is below par.

Heres other observations:
(1) The tac 65 endcap tool will fit the Stratus encap although everyone else says it wont. The Status tool will not fit the Tac 65
(2) Inside diameter of the Stratus is .900, Inside diameter of the Tac 65 is .960.
(3) The Stratus has a hole near the rim of the fourth baffle from the muzzle while the Tac 65 has none.
(4) It takes twice as long to clean the Stratus as it does the Tac 65. The baffles of the Stratus are more fragile. The baffles with the exception of the blast baffle have ridges which glaze over after 2500 rnds. Cleaning these ridges SUCKS.
(5) The exit endcap of the Stratus takes up some volume that the tac 65 does not. The endcap of the Tac 65 is tapered towards the exit hole while the endcap of the Stratus is actually coned shaped back towards the muzzle. I assume this is to swirl the gasses back.
(6) The spacer of the stratus measures .249 and the spacer of the tac 65 measures .445. The endcap next to the spacer(muzzle side) has multiple holes. Surprisingly enough very little residue is collected on or around these holes.
(7) As of today I only have 4 firearms that are threaded for these cans. A Buckmark pistol, Buckmark rifle, CZ 452 American and a Henry Hoo1 lever gun. All of these suffer in accuracy with the Stratus but remain consistant with the Tac 65. There is a slight POI change with the Henry.

This is only one persons review with one can. An opinion should only be made using information form multiple owners. I dont believe all cars of the same make and model are created eqaul and likewise neither are cans. Ive read a nasty review about the SRT Commanche on this website yet this can got good reviews on silencerresearch.com. Likewise the AAC prodigy did not fair so well on silencerresearch.com and yet I have heard the can and listened to the owners and these cans are not so bad. Im a fan of silencerresearch.com and plan on subcribing when the time comes, but I am not foolish enough to belive that this .com is absolution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:38 pm 
Silent But Deadly

People underestimate the Tac 65 all the time.