[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead
SilencerTalk • View topic - 308 barrel threading?

SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 308 barrel threading?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:32 pm 

Newbie here,

I have a M700 LVSF in 308. It is an excellent shooter and light enough to enjoy carrying while hunting, mostly deer. The measurements are as follows. The muzzle diameter is approx. .640” and about 1.45” from the muzzle to the beginning of the fluted part of the barrel. The crown is recessed about 0.030" Is this too light of a barrel profile to thread and put a suppressor on? Is there a minimum barrel wall thickness specification anywhere? I would probably use the suppressor on multiple firearms, this M700 and ARs in .223 and 300 BLK. Some have suggested using a QD mount threaded for 1/2 x 28 and a QD type can.

Thanks for any suggestions or info.

Smitty

Post subject: Re: 308 barrel threading?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:26 am 

The general rule for muzzel diameter is leave .120 each side of the hole. I know of folks that have gotten away with .100 but I never did that. This assumes a muzzle pressure of approx. 6000 psi. So a .308 should have a minimum of .548. Thus you really should have your barrel threaded 5/8x24 and not go 1/2x28. I recently built a surpressed .308 and used a 5/8x24 barrel tensioing bilock from Gemtech for their HVT . I use that same suppressor on about 10 other guns.-Rob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:14 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Agreed. 1/2-28 is a bad idea for a 30 cal. Go with the AAC mounts and you can run the proper threading and still have universal silencer mounting.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:23 am 
Silent But Deadly

I too have a similar conundrum as the barrel on my A-Bolt Stalker .30-06 is rather thin at the end as well. What to do? Have them chop off an inch or so to get back before the taper and thread that? I'm a little pinched for cash at the moment so paying $50-80 to thread something I already have beats shelling out $300-700 for a new rifle just to have one with threads on it or at least $200 for a barrel.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:23 am 
Silent But Deadly

1/2x28 tpi and use an adapter. Done more than a few without issue.

www.hooperordnance.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:25 am 
Silent But Deadly

Agree with Hoop, Had my Remington 788 in 308 threaded 1/2 x 28 and I use a Gemtech adapter for my Sandstorm....no problems at all.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:09 am 

Guys,

I apologize for a late reply. Work has been kicking my tail. I appreciate your input more than you know. After looking at thread specs on the Yankee Hill website, I'm leaning toward threading the muzzle 5/8-24 and index off the muzzle instead of a shoulder.

MarkM, which AAC mounts are you talking about?

Thanks,
Smitty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:00 pm 
Silent But Deadly

smitty wrote:
Guys,

I apologize for a late reply. Work has been kicking my tail. I appreciate your input more than you know. After looking at thread specs on the Yankee Hill website, I'm leaning toward threading the muzzle 5/8-24 and index off the muzzle instead of a shoulder.

Thanks,
Smitty

Then you are left with only one option. Use the brake that indexes on the muzzle. Try and use a screw on suppressor and you may not be able to.

www.hooperordnance.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:33 pm 
Industry Professional

smitty wrote:
I would probably use the suppressor on multiple firearms, this M700 and ARs in .223 and 300 BLK. Some have suggested using a QD mount threaded for 1/2 x 28 and a QD type can.

Your barrel is large enough to thread 5/8-24 for a QD mount that indexes on the muzzle. Because you are already considering a QD this is your best option. I've done several barrels with AAC Blackout mounts.

yellowfin, you can probably do the same thing with your sporter barrel and if you need to go smaller there are some 9/16-24 mounts.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:04 am 
Silent But Deadly

That's very true, I am thinking of a QD mount instead of thread mount b/c I'll want to share the can between several rifles.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:12 pm 
Silent But Deadly

smitty wrote:

On my buddy's 308 and 300WM 5R bolt guns... he just runs the AAC 51t mounts. The 2 chamber AAC brake is actually pretty good and taming the 300WM. It's less obnoxious than a Holland brake, but still really effective.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:40 am 
Silent But Deadly

yellowfin wrote:
That's very true, I am thinking of a QD mount instead of thread mount b/c I'll want to share the can between several rifles.

The direct thread on/adapter is the best option for many reasons. The biggest being repeatable zero if you take the suppressor off.

www.hooperordnance.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:33 am 

I have a Remington 788 in .308 with a barrel that measures .599 at the muzzle and tapers.

To get it threaded, I'm thinking of a 9/16 x 24 thread as .599 is already less than 5/8.

Does that sound good? And what should I look for in somebody to do the work? I think the threaded area will need to be turned to remove the taper.

Thanks!