SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oil Filter. Good silencer?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:27 pm 

Was going to have threads on an oil filter modified to fit already threaded gun. Any advice?

Post subject: Re: Oil Filter. Good silencer?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:31 pm 
Silent But Deadly

kingofnapier wrote:
Was going to have threads on an oil filter modified to fit already threaded gun. Any advice?

My advice, it's not worth the $200 tax. 8)

-T

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:49 am 
Silent But Deadly

kingofnapier wrote:

Wake up Image

your having a bad dream :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:46 pm 
:idea: :!: :?: :? :shock: :roll: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:59 am 
Silent But Deadly

I was starting to laugh at this subject but as I did I remembered watching an old 20-20 episode in which they were reporting about too much info being available on how to commit crimes and the books available at Paladin Press and some murders that were committed with this info.
One murder was committed with a silencer that was made with tennis balls and another in which the perp shot a sheriff with a .22 pistol with an oil filter silencer, while the perp was shooting the sheriff the deputy was shooting him.
So the idea isn't so ridiculous but trying to hide a pistol with an automotive oil filter on the end is something else, its large and clumsy and I doubt it reduce the sound much unless it was oil soaked which would make it messy also.
I had a friend from Tenn. relate a story that while he was out squirrel hunting one time he ran across a fellow with a lawnmower muffler stuck on the end of his .22 rifle, so some people will try anything, some of it being dangerous to themselves and to others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:13 am 
Silent But Deadly

Hush wrote:

I had a friend from Tenn. relate a story that while he was out squirrel hunting one time he ran across a fellow with a lawnmower muffler stuck on the end of his .22 rifle, so some people will try anything, some of it being dangerous to themselves and to others.

Briggs & Stratton our newest Maker of NFA items :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:42 pm 
Silent But Deadly

The one problem industry insiders and cognescenti have is they forget that silencers don't have to be complex. Reducing muzzle signature is not rocket science. Doing it in a small efficient package is.

A couple of pop bottles and a roll of tape can be extremely impressive in the sound reduction it is capable of producing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:05 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Artful wrote:
Hush wrote:

Briggs & Stratton our newest Maker of NFA items :lol:

LMAO! Good one :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:53 am 
Silent But Deadly

Suputin wrote:
The one problem industry insiders and cognescenti have is they forget that silencers don't have to be complex. Reducing muzzle signature is not rocket science. Doing it in a small efficient package is.

A couple of pop bottles and a roll of tape can be extremely impressive in the sound reduction it is capable of producing.

Or one good Potato :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:42 am 
Silent Operator

On those discovery channel forensic files shows, I saw one where the killer used a suppressor made from the tennis ball design. Part of how they caught him was the green tennis ball fibers in the wound. The improv design I've seen most often spread around, is the one from the book "Hitman". Never tried the design, but the book was a hoax..

Its basically brakeline aerated with a drill, wrapped with steel wool, encased in pvc, attached with a bushing made of fiberglass.

Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined. -Patrick Henry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:59 am 
Silent But Deadly

What is a silencer or can? Basically its a muffler, they are all designed to do about the same thing, supress noise.
Now I imagine some of those designs from home workshop books work to some extent, how well is the question, has anyone ever bothered to meter these?
Also the question of longevity comes into question, how many rounds will they last for?
Accuracy is another question, how will they affect it?
What is the attachment method and is it concentric with the bore? etc.

Having said all that I'm sure there are many form 1's out there that work quite well and it helps quite a bit if you have the right equipment, although a determined individual with basic hand tools and skill can do very well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:01 am 
Silent But Deadly

Actually the Potato thing is from IRA - who would use on the end of a 22LR - that's from BBC reporting so it must be true... :)

Don't know what the Db's reduction would be but bet it fluff's them up nice and big.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:17 pm 

kingofnapier wrote:

I would like to see the sights you use to clear your can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:49 am 
Silent But Deadly

You might get away with it if you have an ar 15 I think. Now, how does that potato work? You just stab it on the end of the barrel like a bannana in your car tailpipe or ?? :twisted: Doesn't it cause the same as having a bullet lodged in the barrel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:05 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Quote:
Now, how does that potato work?

The potato has to be boiled. Raw doesn't work. The potato is destroyed in the process but the soft material soaks up a lot of energy being blown to bits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:06 am 
Silent But Deadly

That sounds like a nifty idea but do you make a hole for the barrel I assume? How big does the potato have to be? One of those big ones I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:26 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Not to be argumentative but I'm thinking a good straight zucchini or large cucumber would work better. More volume,length, better grip and a naturally pithy center. It would provide quick cooling of gases and lots of turbulence. Besides the resultant spray of seeds would be great to videotape. Somebody Please, Please, Please do this one. Hmmm. do you think you'd need a Form 1?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:14 pm 
Silent Operator

A nice big Sweet Potato would work well and no, you don't drill a hole down the center first.

I really don't think anything long like a cucumber or zucchini would work because the initial blast and bullet would destroy the first few inches and "remove" it from your barrel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:18 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Dweezil wrote:
Hmmm. do you think you'd need a Form 1?

Yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:34 pm 
Silent Operator

And it would be as much of a waste as paying DD tax on a 40mm HE round and firing it at a mound of dirt.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:54 pm 
Silent But Deadly

kingofnapier wrote:

Fahrenheit 451.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:57 pm 
Silent Operator

Im thinking that there might be a market for an NFA muzzle mounted potato holder. Make it out of wire or something and a thread attachment. cost like $40 and require a $200 tax stamp, then its all just potatoes as operating expense. Only down side is that it wouldnt be full auto rated :(
But then would that make a $.10 potato a class 3 item??? would it be considered a "baffle". But then again i dont want to have to pay $1000 for some mashed potatoes for dinner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:50 pm 

:roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:37 pm 

[quote="Artful"][quote="kingofnapier"]Was going to have threads on an oil filter modified to fit already threaded gun. Any advice?[/quote]
Wake up [img]http://www.arizonashooting.com/forums/images/smiles/anim_slap.gif[/img]

your having a bad dream :lol:[/quote]

Well it's a very realistic dream. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haiqFcIXTqs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:39 pm 
Silent But Deadly

WTF?! :shock:
http://cadizgunworks.com/store/index.ph ... duct_id=67
Not cool, but kinda.

And as far as advice......Don't.